How to work with Trados 2009 on a doc translated by 2 colleagues or more?
Thread poster: JohnnyMe
May 11, 2010

Hello everyone,

I hope this is the correct section to publish this post. I started using SDL Trados Studio 2009 a couple months ago. I am glad to see that Workbench and Tag Editor are long gone and that the new Trados is more efficient than ever. Anyway, a client wanted me to translate a substantial amount of text (20k words) within a week (I am sure you all know what I am talking about!). In order to meet the deadline, I had to split the document with a colleague. I translated section 1, 3 and 4 and I gave him section 2. The purpose of this post is to ask you fellow translators how you would manage such a situation. Let me explain: When my colleague had translated 2000 words, he would send me his target Word document, the sdlxliff doc and the exported TMX. I wasn’t sure what to do with his sdlxliff doc and it didn’t make sense to cut and paste the translated part of the Word document. The only thing we could think at that moment was for me to import his TMX and press enter to every match I had within the section he had translated. It worked all right, but after having imported 3-4 his new TMX every time he sent 2000 words, I ended up with a whole bunch of different target segments in the translation memory for the very same source segment, as if Studio didn’t overwrite the oldest equivalent for the newest. I also realized that he had changed some segments that were previously sent to me and that I had revised. The project was delivered on time to the great satisfaction of my client, but there has to be another way to work with a colleague on a large documents split between 2 or more translators.

Again, how you would colleagues manage such a situation?
Does anyone know if there is a way to merge 2 sdlxliss documents in order to add the translations sent by your colleague?
Is there a way to import segments but to make sure the oldest segments are overwritten when importing?
Does anyone can offer tips or advices on how to work more efficiently and make sure the partnership is advantageous and not time-consuming?

Thank you very much for taking time to reply to this post!

Johnny

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:01
English
Updating Translations May 12, 2010

Hi Johnny,

On importing an sdlxliff. You can import your colleagues sdlxliff directly into your Project TM and then run a Batch Task to update your Master Translation containing all the files that need to be translated. Add the Project TM to the list of TM's in the TM Maintenance menu, then right click and import - sdlxliff is supported.

On looking for the latest translation, you can't import and overwrite the sdlxliff you have unless you have the Professional version and are using packages, and even then I'm pretty sure that the return package you received would update your translation every time, irrespective of whether it was the latest or not. I think the concept being that you don't send out duplicate work.

When you import the sdlxliff into your TM any changes in the translation from your coleagues sdlxliff will create a new TU in your TM as these will now be multiple translations, which of course have to be possible. Maybe you could set a multiple translation penalty on your Project TM and if you retranslate your documents against the TM to clear any previously confirmed segments then what was a 100% match for you would now be less where your colleague had used a different translation and you could choose the preferred or latest translation manually?

I think I see your use case though. Maybe some of the ProZ practitioners have a better way to tackle this?

Regards

Paul

JohnnyMe
TOPIC STARTER
For testing purposes May 12, 2010

Hi Paul,

Thank you for replying.

I did as you said. For testing purposes, I created a new TM (let's call it 'Test') that I added to the project's existing TM. I imported one of the TMX sent by my colleague into 'Test' and the right-clicked on 'Test' TM in order to import the sdlxliff sent with the TMX. It seems to work all right as I am scrolling down the document and target segments get automatically populated as I click on them. But isn't the same as importing only the TMX and confirming segments afterwards?

Then, I opened the sdlxliff doc I had just imported in order to modify already translated segments. I then reimported the modified sdlxliff in the 'Test' TM. When clicking on the modified segments inside the MASTER sdlxliff document, I cannot find a match in the TM that corresponds to the newly modified segments. I created a new TM (Test2) and imported the modified sdlxliff and it still doesn't work. It's like the TM doesn't take the new modification into account.

As Paul puts it, maybe some of the ProZ practitioners have a better way to tackle this?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to work with Trados 2009 on a doc translated by 2 colleagues or more?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search