Thread poster: Mark Nathan

Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:06
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
May 11, 2010

Having recently upgraded to Studio I have yet to establish an easy backup routine.
With Suite 2007, I had an external drive with a TMs folder and at the end of each day I would copy the TMs that I had used that day (2 or 3 at the most) into this folder, overwriting the old ones. This took about 15 seconds.

One of the joys of Studio is of course that you can use more than one TM at a time, and if you check "update" you can create more than one TM at a time.

Then there is the fact that old TMs from Suite 2007 have to be "upgraded" before they can be used.

And because a lot of agencies want bilingual files, I have got into the habit of creating a project TM for each assignement, that I can then export.

Now, this is where I need to clean up my act!
I am creating Studio TMs all over the place (when I upgrade from an old one, I leave the new one in the same folder along with all my old TMs; when I create a new one it is stored in a new Studio folder; when I create one for a project, it is stored with the project files).

So making backups has become a more complex operation.

I am sure there is a "sensible" way of organizing this (but SDL do not seem to say anything about it in the help).

Any comments welcome.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Same as before May 12, 2010

Hi Mark,

If you are using Project TM's so you can export as tmx for an Agency then why do you need to back these up at all? If you have Finalized your Project when you are done and updated your Main Translation Memories then all you need to do is exactly what you did before, just copy the 2 or three Main TM's you have used onto your back up drive. If you do this there seems little point to back up your Project TM's as well.

If I have understood your post properly this seems sensible.

You could have belt and braces and back up all your Projects if they are in one Folder, then you would have everything, but this may be unnecessary for you.

Regards

Paul

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
File organization May 12, 2010

It does not really matter, how do you organize your files on your computer.
The only condition I would give for file organization is, that YOU must understand how it works. This is fully enough - because if you understand your way of archiving files you will also exactly know, which folders are when to be backuped.

As for the backup itself - my favourite way of creating backup would be a full backup of everything on my harddisk, which is related to work (jobs, tms, dictionaries, emails and so on) once a week and then differential backups of the same run every day. This was very easily possible with Windows XP. Unfortunately Microsoft in its wisdom changed the tool and made it easy to use... for full backups, but does not allow any differential backup at all. The same applies to Norton Ghost and some other tools I tested - easy to use creators, where you can define what to backup. But there is no way to define a scenario like the above mentioned.

Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Paul and Jerzy May 16, 2010

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Apart from losing track of the locations of all my new TMs, I was also feeling slightly overwhelmed by the huge numbers of extra files (the "File type" folders) that seem to be generated in Studio, but I am feeling more in control now....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Backups of TMs in Studio 2009

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search