Thread poster: SJBray

SJBray
Spain
Local time: 14:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 11, 2010

Hello,

I have only just started to use SDL Trados (having previously relied on working with word without additional software aid).

I am now populating my Translation Memories and would like to be able to add in all the documents I had previously translated in word.

Is this possible? If so, how?

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:12
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Use WinAlign May 12, 2010

One of the applications in the Trados pacakge is WinAlign, which is used for that purpose.

SJBray
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re May 12, 2010

Thank you very much Yossi

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Aligner May 12, 2010

Quoting myself from another thread:
If you use Winalign, it will certainly take half a lifetime. The automatic aligner I put together ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/aligner ) should cut that quite considerably.
Honestly, I can't stress enough how bad Winalign is... anything else you can think of is a better solution.

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Cannot say that May 13, 2010

WinAlign takes long. I was in the same position of SJBray and it took me only minutes.

Annett

Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:12
English to Hebrew
+ ...
I have good experience with WinAlign May 13, 2010

I use it quite a lot and it works just fine.

The quality and complexity depends on the aligned documents. If their structure is identical, more or less, the alignment goes smoothly.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
adding "all" documents May 13, 2010

SJBray wrote:

I am now populating my Translation Memories and would like to be able to add in all the documents I had previously translated in word.

Depending whether you have been working for weeks/months/years, this could be a mammoth task!
WinAlign works well, but I would select a few files that you know have useful repetitive terms in your field, and align those.
Then, when a new job comes in, and you think you can make use of old translations, search for the translated files on your PC and use WinAlign for them before you do your new translation.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Depends May 13, 2010

Annett Hieber wrote:

WinAlign takes long. I was in the same position of SJBray and it took me only minutes.

Annett

If you have two dozen sentences to align, anything works fine. Try doing a couple of thousand segments, or a couple of hundred thousand.

I did a total of about a million sentences in the last year or two (a hundred thousand of it fully revised, the rest was just auto-alignment).

The point is, with winalign, you'll only align stuff if it's fairly short and you need it to be in a TM really badly, because the winalign workflow is inefficient. With a better tool, you get into the habit of making TMs from anything you come across that can be useful. If 95% correct autoalignment will do, then it takes basically no time.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I can align text manually, using Trados (for segmentation), Office and Notepad faster than you can with Winalign, which goes to show how inefficient its approach and UI is.

I don't know how it is possible that SDL and the others never heard of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gale-Church_alignment_algorithm and all the rest (Gale-Church is not the best anymore but it's the easiest to cite).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

From word to a translation memory

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €495 / $595
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €495 / $595 / £425 / ¥70,000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search