https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/170585-trados_on_13%223_laptop_and_questions_on_screen_resolution.html

Trados on 13"3 laptop and questions on screen resolution
Thread poster: Katja Vuorisalo
Katja Vuorisalo
Katja Vuorisalo  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:27
French to Finnish
+ ...
May 12, 2010

Hi, are there any issues with using Trados 7 Freelance on 13"3 laptop with screen resolution 1366x768? I have a Toshiba Satellite T130 with Windows 7 Home Premium and just installed Trados on it but now I cannot open or create memory with the 5 languages I chose during installation. I just thought if the resolution and the smaller screen size has anything to do with it. I can only see the first languages in the alphabetic order, eg. Arabic, Chinese etc in the available languages list when trying... See more
Hi, are there any issues with using Trados 7 Freelance on 13"3 laptop with screen resolution 1366x768? I have a Toshiba Satellite T130 with Windows 7 Home Premium and just installed Trados on it but now I cannot open or create memory with the 5 languages I chose during installation. I just thought if the resolution and the smaller screen size has anything to do with it. I can only see the first languages in the alphabetic order, eg. Arabic, Chinese etc in the available languages list when trying to create a memory, but my working languages are not there. Already installed Trados several times, but didn't help. Maybe the small screen resolution has nothing to do with this but is it perfectly ok to work with Trados on a mini laptop? Thanks!Collapse

Sandra Emberger
Sandra Emberger
Germany
Local time: 17:27
English to German
+ ...
Windows 7 is the problem May 12, 2010

Hi Katerina,

your problem is not the laptop or the resolution, but the operating system.

Check here for further information

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/135277-trados_in_windows_7.html

Hope this helps,
Sandra

[Edited at 2010-05-12 07:50 GMT]

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
... May 12, 2010

Correct link to hit above is here.

[Редактировалось 2010-05-12 10:30 GMT]

Maxim Manzhosin
Maxim Manzhosin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Is it running as demo? May 12, 2010

IIRC Trados won't let you use several languages if it is running in the demo mode. If it does you may want to try this solution.

Katja Vuorisalo
Finland
French to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not running as a demo May 12, 2010

Maxim Manzhosin wrote:

IIRC Trados won't let you use several languages if it is running in the demo mode. If it does you may want to try this solution.

Hi Maxim,
No, I am using a license. Furthermore, I checked this thread: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/157220-trados_2007_and_windows_7.html

There Luisa wrote:
"Hi Paula,

I contacted the Italian reseller of Trados and they got this answer from SDL:

«I can confirm that SDL Trados 2007 Suite will run on Windows 7 and is fully compatible.

Please note that only SDL Trados 2007 Suite is compatible on 64-bit versions of Windows 7. Therefore, if you are using the 64-bit version, please check that you are installing SDL Trados 2007 Suite.»

But I am using Trados 7 Freelance. Is that different than Trados 2007 Suite then? Is there no solution for this really? I am using 64-bit operating system also.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:27
French to Polish
+ ...
Run as admin... May 14, 2010

katerina100 wrote:

Hi, are there any issues with using Trados 7 Freelance on 13"3 laptop with screen resolution 1366x768? I have a Toshiba Satellite T130 with Windows 7 Home Premium and just installed Trados on it but now I cannot open or create memory with the 5 languages I chose during installation. I just thought if the resolution and the smaller screen size has anything to do with it.

No logical connection.
Although, frankly speaking, 1366x768 is not a comfortable choice.

I can only see the first languages in the alphabetic order, eg. Arabic, Chinese etc in the available languages list when trying to create a memory, but my working languages are not there. Already installed Trados several times, but didn't help.

You should install Trados using the "Run as admin" option in the contextual menu (right click on the setup file).
As Trados 7 was created before the UAC feature was introduced (i.e. in Vista), it is unable to write the settings in the registry because of the access rights.

You can do it manually using the suggestions from the thread
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/148435-how_to_change_default_5_languages.html
but I think it will be better to reinstall Trados properly.

Cheers
GG

Katja Vuorisalo
Finland
French to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a million! May 14, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

You should install Trados using the "Run as admin" option in the contextual menu (right click on the setup file).
As Trados 7 was created before the UAC feature was introduced (i.e. in Vista), it is unable to write the settings in the registry because of the access rights.

Cheers
GG

Thank you very much, Grzegorz! That was a great advice, I did that, and now all my 5 languages are there! Cheers!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados on 13"3 laptop and questions on screen resolution

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »