Trados 2007 - add file to existing project
Thread poster: Kjersti Farrier

Kjersti Farrier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:03
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
May 12, 2010

I am some reason unable to find a way to add a new file (to translate) to an existing project in Trados 2007. Is this not possible?
What I'm doing is actually the following:
(since the customer is legacy 2007 only and I want to use Studio 2009...)
- receive the Word documents to translate
- open a project in 2007
- add the files and convert them to translatable .ttx format
- add the .ttx files to a project in 2009
- etc etc

I opened one project, added my file, had it converted...
Then as I received another project from the same customer, I thought I might as well add that file too to the existing project rather than opening yet another project, then another one, then etc...

...But I cannot do it?!!

Susana Valdez  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, you can May 12, 2010

To add files to an existing project:

Click the Files button in the navigation pane. All of the files in the active project are displayed in the Files view.

In the box at the top of the Files view navigation pane, select the source language. The source documents for the project are displayed on the right.

When you add new files for translation to a project, you must always add the files to the source language folder. If you add the files to the target language folders they will automatically be added as reference files which are read-only files that cannot be modified.

Add files for the language:

If
Then

you want to add files individually
right-click a project file and select Add Files from the shortcut menu. The Add Files dialog box is displayed.

Navigate to the required files, select them and click Open. The selected files are added to the files list; they are given a status of Translatable.

you want to add a folder
in the navigation pane, select the folder to which you want the new folder to be added. You can select the top level project or an existing project folder.

Right-click a project file and select Add Folders from the shortcut menu. The Browse for Folder dialog box is displayed.

Navigate to the required folder, select the folder and click OK. The folder is added to the navigation pane. Sub-folders are also added automatically.

Select the new folder to display the files it contains. The files are automatically given a status of Translatable.

Repeat step 3 for all remaining files and folders to be added.

If any of the files you added are reference files, change their status from Translatable to Reference. To do this, right-click the file or files and select Change File Usage. The Change File Usage dialog box is displayed. Change the file usage to Reference and click OK. No further action is needed on reference files.

Prepare the new files for translation. To do this select the files, right-click and select Batch Tasks > Custom from the shortcut menu. The Batch Processing wizard is displayed on the Batch Tasks page.

In the Task Sequence drop-down list, select Prepare. A list of the processes that will be performed on the selected files is displayed in the Tasks box. The settings used to create the original project files will be applied to the new files.

If you want to view or change the project settings before processing the files, click Next to display the Settings page.

Click Finish to prepare the files for translation. The prepared SDLXLIFF files are added to all target language folders and are displayed in the list in the Files view when you select a target language from the navigation pane.

[Copy from HELP]

[Edited at 2010-05-12 20:59 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:03
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
In Trados 2007 (Synergy) you cannot add files to an existing project May 12, 2010

However, from what you've wrote, you are not even trying to do that, but just adding a ttx file to an existing project in Studio.
This is possible and even very easy.
Activate the project you want to add files to by double clicking its name in the project list.
Now go to the files view. You will see files in your project, listed for your target language.
On the Navigation pane on the left hand side you'll see the flag corresponding to your target language. Click on it and change to your source language.
Now right click on an empty space below the files listed and chose "Add file(s)".
Add as many files you wish.
Now select the recently added files and right click on them and select "Batch tasks" and then the right tast for you - or customize the task (only if you have the professional version of Studio).

After the task(s) has (have) been performed do not forget to change back to the target language. Now you can open your files for translation and process them as usual.

United Kingdom
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is to Trados 2007 (yes, Synergy) I am trying to add files... May 12, 2010

I can do it all in Studio 2009, that is not where my problem lies.

Thank you for both trying to help me out, but I believe that you are both talking about Studio 2009. In 2007 Synergy I do not have any of the options / drop-down menues mentioned.

But as Jerzy says, I cannot add files to existing projects... How bizzare that is! Why on earth not?

But if I cannot I cannot...icon_frown.gif

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:03
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This was a limitation in Synergy May 12, 2010

and has been removed for Studio - both Freelance and Professional.
But you can produce such projects for your customer demanding TTX files easily in Studio.

To do so create an empty TM in the corresponding language pair.
In Workbench go to Tools and chose Translate.
Add the files to be translated and semi-translate them with Workbench. This will create the necessary TTX files. Only for Word files make sure you have chosen the XML-workflow for Word files on Translation Memory Options - Tools tab.

Then use those TTX files for a project in Studio. From now on you can process everything in Studio and create even the TTX AND translated files in source format for delivery.

United Kingdom
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for that May 12, 2010

I do everything else you said apart from that I thought I had to create a project to get the .ttx files - I thought it was a long haul to start withicon_smile.gif
I've tested it now and it works perfectlyicon_smile.gif Thank you for your advice

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 - add file to existing project

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search