getting word options right for trados 2007
Thread poster: ian ward (X)

ian ward (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:07
French to English
May 14, 2010

hello,
I don't use Trados regularly and I'd forgotten how to hide the source text. Yes, it's the option hidden text, but in the meantime I think I tried some others and now it seems I can't open a segment, the cursor just scrolls down a few pages... HELP ... what have I done?
MANY thanks in advance
Ian

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
fix doc May 14, 2010

Presumably you have tried clicking on "fix document" in the trados toolbar?
And closing everything down and starting up again?

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
fix doc? May 14, 2010

hello Emma, thanks for replying....
don't presume ANYTHING when it comes to me and Trados ! (see my previous posts on this.... thing)
in my previous sessions using Trados I haven't had to do this.... would that be "rétablir document" at the bottom of the drop down list? what does it do? ....as usual this has cropped up just before a looming deadline..... thanks for any further assistance

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Word options May 14, 2010

Hi Ian,
in Word, you should go to Tools > Options > View tab and uncheck Hidden text. That should do.

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
not "hidden text" May 14, 2010

thanks for your reply Stanislav, but the problem is not there ..... I am able to set / unset "hidden text" for the display, that's ok ...

but having searched for, and finally found that option, I now find I can't open a segment (when visible of course) ... it seems that I may have tried another option, not "hidden test", that trados doesn't like... but I don't know which .....

if that is all it is then I'll faff about until I find it... but I need to get on with this translation ..... bloody hell, I'll have to add a note that the tm isn't up to date as I'm "raw editing" at the moment

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
ctrl alt U May 14, 2010

is the shortcut for "fix document". It sounds like "retablir" in French, but I'm not sure.

The short cut for showing hidden text as Stanislav suggests is ctrl shift 8, by the way, but I think you've discovered that from your first post.

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
short cuts ? May 14, 2010

hello again Emma,
I'm not too worried about short cuts (I rarely work that fast!!)
I was hoping you'd tell me what this function DOES..... whenever I'm trigger happy something goes wrong (eg this morning with the options !)... so I just want to have an idea what this means... "fix document".
Yes, I'm lazy, and rushed, I could look in the Trados help but I don't have a lot of confidence in finding it..... I will look, eventually, if you haven't had a chance to tell me, simply (!) ... sigh

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
no idea what fix document does! May 14, 2010

I have no idea what it does eithericon_smile.gif
But when things get stuck in Word it's a magic button that fixes a lot of problems!
Give it a go! No dialog windows open or anything, it just irons out similar problems to yours.

Other suggestions that have been made for cursor problems on other threads include changing your Word display view from normal to draft.

Otherwise, I would recommend never using the Word environment for Trados (Word is too unpredictable as you have found) and use Tag Editor instead. These problems never crop up using Tag Editor (or Studio if you have it).

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
no panic May 14, 2010

well, I odn't need to panic, even if I can't open my segments I'm ASSUMING that I'll be able to clean up and so update my tm.. it is fortunate that I haven't had this problem when I was doing my first "pass" .....

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
OK May 14, 2010

I've just seen your last message Emma... I've got all that now, thanks ... have a good afternoon

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
PS May 14, 2010

but isn't tag editor hideous with tables ?!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

getting word options right for trados 2007

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search