Frode Aleksandersen
Frode Aleksandersen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 08:15
Member (2007)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
May 14, 2010

I'm just starting out with 2009, and having some issues. In this case I imported a .ttx file that was created based on an XML file. I'm trying to save the target as XML and get the following error: "Failed to save target content. The language 'nb-NO' is not supported. I also get the same error if I try to preview the target. (I have Norwegian bokmål installed and selected for the project, so it's not that)

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this? It's pretty much a showstop
... See more
I'm just starting out with 2009, and having some issues. In this case I imported a .ttx file that was created based on an XML file. I'm trying to save the target as XML and get the following error: "Failed to save target content. The language 'nb-NO' is not supported. I also get the same error if I try to preview the target. (I have Norwegian bokmål installed and selected for the project, so it's not that)

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this? It's pretty much a showstopper, as my client requires both the .ttx file and an XML file generated from it. I could do all this in 2007 of course, but I would rather find a more permanent solution which lets me actually transition to using and learning 2009.
Collapse

Kjersti Farrier
Kjersti Farrier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:15
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
It's an issue due to language code differences ... May 15, 2010

...between Trados 2007 and Studio 2009, but seemingly only for Norwegian.
In Trados 2007 the code is NO-NO, but in Studio 2009 it is NB-NO. Therefore when you try to save the file as XML files this error will occur, because XML files are legacy files and are therefore just for 2007. You can save it as ttx file however.
The XML file you can create from within Word... I will check now if you can do it from within Trados 2007 too.

Hope that this helps to shed some light on
... See more
...between Trados 2007 and Studio 2009, but seemingly only for Norwegian.
In Trados 2007 the code is NO-NO, but in Studio 2009 it is NB-NO. Therefore when you try to save the file as XML files this error will occur, because XML files are legacy files and are therefore just for 2007. You can save it as ttx file however.
The XML file you can create from within Word... I will check now if you can do it from within Trados 2007 too.

Hope that this helps to shed some light on the issue - fortunately my customer who wants legacy files is happy with just the .ttx files...

Kjersti
Collapse

Kjersti Farrier
United Kingdom
+ ...
Mh... maybe not possible from Workbench... May 15, 2010

I cannot do it from Workbench, only as .ttx.
Perhaps someone else more familiar with Trados 2007 can shed some light?

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Notepad May 15, 2010

1. Make a backup copy of the TTX
2. Try to open the TTX in Notepad, press CTRL+H and replace NO-NO with NB-NO.
3. Translate the file in Studio and export back into TTX.
4. Open the translated TTX in Notepad again.
5. Press CTRL+H and replace NB-NO with NO-NO.

This might help.

Frode Aleksandersen
Norway
Member (2007)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't work May 15, 2010

I just tried replacing NO-NO with NB-NO and nb-NO. Both give me an error when trying to open the file in Studio 2009:

Unrecognized language code: NB-NO
The detected language does not match that expected by the project.

The editor then refuses to open the file, so that's not a solution.

Kjersti Farrier
United Kingdom
+ ...
Give in... May 15, 2010

I'm sorry to say you'll have to give in with regards to using 2009 to create the bilingual XML file. Here is a link to another forum entry discussing a similar issue:
http://mac.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/138983-t2007:_unable_to_import_a_tmx_export_from_t2009.html

It might be of some help, but I think the re
... See more
I'm sorry to say you'll have to give in with regards to using 2009 to create the bilingual XML file. Here is a link to another forum entry discussing a similar issue:
http://mac.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/138983-t2007:_unable_to_import_a_tmx_export_from_t2009.html

It might be of some help, but I think the renaming of the language code in the files is only really useful in the scenario where you need to use files (tmx files too) created in 2009 in 2007 or visa versa.
Collapse

Kjersti Farrier
United Kingdom
+ ...
to Trados support.. May 15, 2010

It would be useful if TRADOS support came up with a solution to this, like something in the code for the applet which save the files to XML format, to replace the language code for Norwegian Bokmål to no_no whenever it creates Trados 2007 legacy files.

Frode Aleksandersen
Norway
Member (2007)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Studio 2009 not compatible in other words May 15, 2010

So basically Studio 2009 can't be used to translate TTX files into Norwegian, since there's no way to save to the original file format. That's a rather serious flaw. I must say I'm also rather disappointed by the attitude of the SDL support poster in the thread you linked - this is clearly a bug as I shouldn't need to have to use 2007 in order to save a target file.

So far Studio 2009 is failing to impress I must say. The UI in particular is a step back since it places TUs side by s
... See more
So basically Studio 2009 can't be used to translate TTX files into Norwegian, since there's no way to save to the original file format. That's a rather serious flaw. I must say I'm also rather disappointed by the attitude of the SDL support poster in the thread you linked - this is clearly a bug as I shouldn't need to have to use 2007 in order to save a target file.

So far Studio 2009 is failing to impress I must say. The UI in particular is a step back since it places TUs side by side instead of above each other, making it harder/slower to compare source and target. If I could get the auto-suggest functionality worked into Workbench, I'd just use 2007 and never look back.
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Send me one file May 15, 2010

Hi Frode,
just out of curiosity: could you send me one file and a short TM extract? Perhaps I can find a solution to this. Please send me a PM to receive my e-mail address in a reply.

Kjersti Farrier
United Kingdom
+ ...
Very frustrating indeed... May 15, 2010

Frode Aleksandersen wrote:

So far Studio 2009 is failing to impress I must say. The UI in particular is a step back since it places TUs side by side instead of above each other, making it harder/slower to compare source and target. If I could get the auto-suggest functionality worked into Workbench, I'd just use 2007 and never look back.

Not quite right though. If you are translating a .ttx file in Studio 2009 then it does give you the original format because then the original format is indeed .ttx for Studio 2009. But the frustrating part is that you cannot get it converted (back) to a Word file. Of course if your original file is a Word document then it works fine. So the basic thing is that for Studio 2009 .ttx is partly extinct. I have never used Trados 2007, went straight to Studio 2009 - which I think is great appart from the part where customers use Trados 2007 and work with legacy files, then I have to implement the use of Trados 2007, mostly due to the Norwegian language code "bug", but also because they supply me with a Word document and want a Word document back + the .ttx bilingual file.

As for the comment SDL Support made for the precious thread - I'm actually unsure what they really mean, there is some type of "fix", but there is not much information and it is not clear which way the "fix" works either.

Frode Aleksandersen
Norway
Member (2007)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still broken May 15, 2010

That's not right either, as the resulting TTX file produced by 2009 does not work properly in 2007. The language code isn't set at all, with the result that if you open the ttx file in Tageditor, it doesn't recognize the language and you can't edit the file or save to the original target format. I had to manually edit the TTX file and insert the NO-NO code in order for that to work.

To summarize:

- 2009 can import a TTX file
- 2009 cannot convert a TTX file to th
... See more
That's not right either, as the resulting TTX file produced by 2009 does not work properly in 2007. The language code isn't set at all, with the result that if you open the ttx file in Tageditor, it doesn't recognize the language and you can't edit the file or save to the original target format. I had to manually edit the TTX file and insert the NO-NO code in order for that to work.

To summarize:

- 2009 cannot convert a TTX file to the original file format
- 2009 cannot create a TTX file that works in 2007 or any other versions
- 2009 is essentially not backwards compatible
Collapse

Kjersti Farrier
United Kingdom
+ ...
Mh, strange that... May 15, 2010

Frode Aleksandersen wrote:

To summarize:

- 2009 cannot convert a TTX file to the original file format
- 2009 cannot create a TTX file that works in 2007 or any other versions
- 2009 is essentially not backwards compatible

Not sure how you've done it, but the .ttx file which I get from Studio 2009, bilingual, I can open in TagEditor and if I view it in Notepad it has as expected the language code NO-NO. Also I can edit it and save the target as a Word Document. Actually I could do more than I thought I would be able to do.
So from you summary there is only one thing 2009 cannot do, although it is due to the Norwegian code that it cannot be done, is to convert the TTX file to the original file format, i.e. Word doc.

[Edited at 2010-05-15 19:28 GMT]

Kjersti Farrier
United Kingdom
+ ...
If you like... May 15, 2010

... I can write down every single step I take to accomplish this??

Frode Aleksandersen
Norway
Member (2007)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
(insert title here) May 15, 2010

What I do is I create a new project and add the ttx file and the upgraded TM to it. After that I simply open the ttx file in the editor, copy the source to the target to ensure there's something in the target field (same thing happens if I translate normally for that matter), and choose Save target as. The resulting TTX file has the problem I mentioned earlier.

I've tried with source files both in Swedish and English (US), and the same thing happens.

If you're doing som
... See more
What I do is I create a new project and add the ttx file and the upgraded TM to it. After that I simply open the ttx file in the editor, copy the source to the target to ensure there's something in the target field (same thing happens if I translate normally for that matter), and choose Save target as. The resulting TTX file has the problem I mentioned earlier.

I've tried with source files both in Swedish and English (US), and the same thing happens.

If you're doing something different and getting it to work, I'd love to hear it.
Collapse

Kjersti Farrier
United Kingdom
+ ...
... May 15, 2010

I create the .ttx file in 2007 (starting off with an English Word doc), I use seperate TMs for 2007 and 2009 though. Maybe it makes a difference that your TM is upgraded from 2007, although I cannot see how it would matter. Where does your .ttx file come from? Does it start off with NO-NO? Just for the sake of it, could you create a new TM (pure 2009)?

I've now done a test.
I created a .ttx file in 2007 from a Word doc (made sure it contains NO-NO), made a new project
... See more
I create the .ttx file in 2007 (starting off with an English Word doc), I use seperate TMs for 2007 and 2009 though. Maybe it makes a difference that your TM is upgraded from 2007, although I cannot see how it would matter. Where does your .ttx file come from? Does it start off with NO-NO? Just for the sake of it, could you create a new TM (pure 2009)?

I've now done a test.
I created a .ttx file in 2007 from a Word doc (made sure it contains NO-NO), made a new project in 2009 and upgraded the TM from 2007, which would automatically create the target translation as the doc has previosuly been translated.
Then I did Save Target Translation to .ttx (also tried Original file, but got the error about the language code as expected). Checked the file again to make sure it had NO-NO. Opened it in TagEditor, no problem. Did Save Target and Save Bilingual, both worked perfectly and both files could be opened in Notepad (NO-NO present) and Word.

So all looks the same, apart from maybe where/how the .ttx file came to be in your instance. So the main question is "Does it start off with NO-NO?"

Trenger en pause etter alt dette
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 error: Language 'nb-NO' is not supported

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »