Chris Dawe
Chris Dawe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:00
Portuguese to English
+ ...
May 18, 2010

.........MicroSoft\Word\STARTUP

There's a very interesting earlier posting on here from another colleague about this problem. Does anyone know if this works? I have a Vista Samsung X22 laptop. They wrote:

"Got it! (for Vista SP1) Feb 8, 2009

I have a solution for Vista users:
Please go Run -> Regedit.exe
and try to change the name of
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
to
... See more
.........MicroSoft\Word\STARTUP

There's a very interesting earlier posting on here from another colleague about this problem. Does anyone know if this works? I have a Vista Samsung X22 laptop. They wrote:

"Got it! (for Vista SP1) Feb 8, 2009

I have a solution for Vista users:
Please go Run -> Regedit.exe
and try to change the name of
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Don't forget to export it first!

Good luck!"

I can get to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft. Then I cannot find the "Windows" bit. Help!!! Chris)
Collapse

Chris Dawe
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Trados 2007 Suite May 18, 2010

.........I meant to add that I'm trying to install the Trados 2007 Suite.

Chris Dawe
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
User Shell Folders May 18, 2010

I have now found this folder, but am not sure if I should be exporting the folder itself or part of its contents. I'm not sure what the "key" is here, the folder or part ot its contents. Chris.

Alex Lilo
Alex Lilo
Local time: 11:00
English to Russian
+ ...
3 ways to solve the problem May 18, 2010

Chris,

Please go Run -> Regedit.exe or just type regedit and hit Enter

In the registry editor, find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Right click on “User Shell Folders” and select “Export”.

In the file export window (pops up after you click “export”), type any name for the file and save it where you can easily find it, for example, to your desktop. Minimize all
... See more
Chris,

Please go Run -> Regedit.exe or just type regedit and hit Enter

In the registry editor, find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Right click on “User Shell Folders” and select “Export”.

In the file export window (pops up after you click “export”), type any name for the file and save it where you can easily find it, for example, to your desktop. Minimize all open windows. Find the exported “whatevername.reg” file. Right click the .reg file and select Edit or Open with -> Notepad. In Notepad, right after “Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00” you will need to edit the first line.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]
must be changed to
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]
Save the changes and exit Notepad. Then, double click the “whatevername.reg” file. When prompted, choose “yes” to continue. That’s it!

Alternatively, you can create another folder named “Shell Folders” in [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
and copy all the keys from
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]
to
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]

The problem is that Trados installer looks for a folder named “Shell Folders” in [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer] and cannot find it in Vista. In Vista the folder is named “User Shell Folders” and contains all the keys the installer needs. So you can either rename “User Shell Folders” to “Shell Folders” or create a new folder named “Shell Folders” and copy all the “User Shell Folders” keys into “Shell Folders”.

Good luck and please let me know if this helps or if you need more help.
Collapse

Chris Dawe
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exported .reg file May 19, 2010

You are a star Alex, this has been a life saver! I'm hugely grateful. Just on double clicking the .reg file, I'll paste in what you told me by email, for those who will no doubt refer to these postings in future:

"About double clicking the file... make sure the default program associated
with the file is the Registry editor. If it is Notepad, no wonder it just
reopens. If it has the .reg extension, it should be opened with the Registry
editor. Go to the Properties
... See more
You are a star Alex, this has been a life saver! I'm hugely grateful. Just on double clicking the .reg file, I'll paste in what you told me by email, for those who will no doubt refer to these postings in future:

"About double clicking the file... make sure the default program associated
with the file is the Registry editor. If it is Notepad, no wonder it just
reopens. If it has the .reg extension, it should be opened with the Registry
editor. Go to the Properties of the exported file (right click it and select
Properties) and make sure the default program is not Notepad but the Windows
registry editor".
Collapse

Inmaculada Belen Martinez
Inmaculada Belen Martinez
English to Spanish
It works! Jul 15, 2010

Hi,

I just wanted to thank you both. I had the same problem and the solution posted here worked. It did not initially but that was because I had not enabled the Real Administrator account. Once I did, all was fine. Thank you!!

[Modificato alle 2010-07-15 12:08 GMT]

Chris Dawe
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Shell Folders Jul 15, 2010

You're welcome, but the thanks go to Alex, who got me out one hell of a hole, as SDL Support [then] could not resolve the matter. An SDL support engineer later told me that with Vista machines, "Shell Folders" is sometimes not created in the Registry, I think, when the machine is first started up. So it's a very nasty problem and there aren't all that many people out there in our field who know how to resolve it. Hopefully other colleagues will see this thread too and resolve the matter as you h... See more
You're welcome, but the thanks go to Alex, who got me out one hell of a hole, as SDL Support [then] could not resolve the matter. An SDL support engineer later told me that with Vista machines, "Shell Folders" is sometimes not created in the Registry, I think, when the machine is first started up. So it's a very nasty problem and there aren't all that many people out there in our field who know how to resolve it. Hopefully other colleagues will see this thread too and resolve the matter as you have now done. ChrisCollapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error 1606: Could not access network location

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »