Gerald Dennett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:54
German to English
+ ...
May 18, 2010

The KB article for the latest (17 May) update to SDL Trados 2009 states:
"Embedded content in XML files (such as CDATA sections) can now be processed. "

Can anyone please tell me how this is supposed to work. I have followed the instructions in help to the letter and am having no luck.
I have an XML file with elements containing translatable text. The translatable text is in HTML format and so I wish to convert the HTML tags to Trados tags so that they are not messed about with in translation.
In theory, I can identify the element that contains text and add the HTML tags as RegExpressions so that they are converted into tags, or so Help tells me.

I am unable to succeed.
Has anyone managed to do this?
I'll be very grateful for any help
Gerald

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved May 19, 2010

A prompt response from SDL has helped me with my understanding of XML and the
Regular Expressions syntax used in Studio 2009.
I have a working solution and am most grateful. SDL is updating its documentation.
Gerald

Remy Blaettler
Local time: 12:54
German to English
+ ...
Same issue? Documentation correct? Oct 28, 2011

Hey Gerald
Where you ever able to get the example in the documentation with sample2.xml to work? I followed all the steps, but it's not working at all for me.

I have HTML in an XML attribute and that is not working either. I can write the XPath, but all the HMTL tags are still encoded in Trados.

Cheers

Remy

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Catching HTML Oct 28, 2011

Hi Remy,
Paul once helped me with this. In the "Filetypes" tree, expand the filetype in question, go to the "Embedded Content" entry and add the following RegEx as a placeholder:
Code:
</?[a-z][a-z0-9]*[^<>]*>

This should catch almost all embedded HTML tags and diplay them as placeholders.

[Upraveno: 2011-10-28 18:14 GMT]

[Upraveno: 2011-10-28 18:15 GMT]

Remy Blaettler
German to English
+ ...
Example? Oct 31, 2011

Thanks for the hint. They actually have that in the online help, but it still does not do the job with the example.
The problem starts with the Parser rule: //*[@translate='yes']

This is the XML for the example from the online help:
http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/sample2.xml

I added another section with String translate="no" and both are included. Does anyone have a working .sdlfiletype file for any of these examples? Or any pointers to why this is not working for me?

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Embedded content HTML in XML Oct 31, 2011

Hi Remy
Paul at SDL helped me out of my difficulties. To be honest, I have not had to deal with it since (I was helping someone else out) and cannot remember a thing!
Sorry I cannot be more helpful
Gerald

Remy Blaettler
German to English
+ ...
Working with SDL now Nov 1, 2011

Hey Stanislav and Gerald
Thanks for the responses. Got a mail from Paul and will update the Forum if we find the solution.

Cheers

Remy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Embedded content HTML in XML

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search