Why can't I run 2 instances of SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus?
Thread poster: Doron Greenspan MITI

Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 07:27
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
May 19, 2010

When I bought the "Plus" version of the Studio 2009 SP2 upgrade, I was under the impression that here, at last, there was a way for 2 pcs working with Trados together on the same home network. Without having to buy a Professional license (~Eu 2000) - we are a wife-husband team after all.

But as soon as I try to open Translator Workbench on the second pc, I get the good old error "only one running instance of translator's workbench freelance is allowed per local area network, translator's workbench freelance will now close."

So can someone explains what the following sentence describing the "Plus" variety from SDL's website* actually means?

"...Whereas, SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP2 Plus offers the convenience of a license that can be activated on 2 PCs simultaneously, for example a desktop and a laptop."

What's the point of buying two activations that can't work together, I ask; what's the difference with the previous, non-Plus, variety of license?...

Thanks, Doron

* http://www.translationzone.com/en/products/sdl-trados-freelance/#studio_tag13

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:27
French to Polish
+ ...
Varia... May 19, 2010

Doron Greenspan MITI wrote:

When I bought the "Plus" version of the Studio 2009 SP2 upgrade, I was under the impression that here, at last, there was a way for 2 pcs working with Trados together on the same home network. Without having to buy a Professional license (~Eu 2000) - we are a wife-husband team after all.

You was wrong.
I's not the Trados "Plus'" purpose.
If you want to create a wife/husband/cat/whatever team without having to buy a Professional license (~Eu 2000), you should use another tool.
I suggest DVX or Swordfish.

But as soon as I try to open Translator Workbench on the second pc, I get the good old error "only one running instance of translator's workbench freelance is allowed per local area network, translator's workbench freelance will now close."

All the "legacy workarounds" apply, I suppose.

So can someone explains what the following sentence describing the "Plus" variety from SDL's website* actually means?

"...Whereas, SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP2 Plus offers the convenience of a license that can be activated on 2 PCs simultaneously, for example a desktop and a laptop."

What's the point of buying two activations that can't work together, I ask; what's the difference with the previous, non-Plus, variety of license?...

Simply. it's easier to bring your notebook out of home without all the unregistering/registering hassle.
IMO it's worth of these 25 eurobucks.

PS.
I have also Trados 2009 FL but I never installed it (me and my wife, we have Pro but we use rather DVX).
Are you able to run two FL instances on the same machine?

Cheers
GG

French to Polish
+ ...
Cmmon sense... May 19, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Doron Greenspan MITI wrote:

You was wrong.
I's not the Trados "Plus'" purpose.

Generally, when you buy one user license, you're entitled to use the software as one user (even if you run multiple instances if possible).
The common sense rulez.
IMO it's possible SDL s not clear enough but the common sense should apply.

The main practical difference is when you install MS Office or Adobe (as society), memoQ or Wordfast (as individual) etc., you're assumed to be honest, the SDL practice defaults you're a cheater.
So, only one instance at a time is forced.
It may seem logic.
The problem is when you but TWO FL licenses, the Trados behavior will be the same.
Let's say, you have two Windows notebooks but you may use only one of them at a time.
Enjoy.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-05-19 18:53 GMT]

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Trados as a converter May 19, 2010

It might be too late for you, but a word of advice for other wife-husband teams (like ours - we had the same exact problem) - just buy (or upgrade, if the harm of buying Trados has been done) one license and use Trados only as a converter/segmenter.

Most of other tools can translate ttx without any problems and with one license you can always check the results (and save the file to cover the tracks ), so you should be safe if your client demands Trados (which is slowly but surely happening less and less).

The only inconvenience is that two members of the team have to have different workflows, which might be a hassle if you work on the same projects. But then you are more versatile, having mastered two tools instead of one.

The only loser here is SDL (as they will sell only one license instead of two), but they brought it on themselves...

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Maybe some confusion over licence types? May 19, 2010

Hi Doron,

You purchased the Plus Licence for Studio and then talk about Workbench. These are two different products and they are licensed differently.

You can have as many versions of Studio running on your home network as you like. The restrictions between Freelance and Professional are based on the network type rather than product type as they were previously.

Your problem is that you have launched two versions of Workbench and these have always been restricted in this way.

Regards

Paul

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
It is better then... May 19, 2010

Sorry, I did notice that you are talking about Workbench - I was under impression that the new version does the same.

It is great that this silly restriction has been removed - it did not make much sense anyway...

Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 07:27
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I wish I could use Studio... May 19, 2010

... I betatested it. The problem is:
1. Hebrew is still not fully functional as the target language; it is too erratic to edit on the target side; and
2. Most clients are not ready for it yet; i can get over this problem, I guess.

My problem is with TagEditor/Workbench (I try to avoid working inside Word if I can help it...). I guess that based on what the SDL man says, it won't go away.

Thanks anyway, I guess I'll be trying one of the workarounds I found elsewhere...

Doron

[Edited at 2010-05-19 21:00 GMT]

French to Polish
+ ...
Sorry... May 19, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

You purchased the Plus Licence for Studio and then talk about Workbench. These are two different products and they are licensed differently.

Well.
They're bundled now, so it may be confusing.

You can have as many versions of Studio running on your home network as you like. The restrictions between Freelance and Professional are based on the network type rather than product type as they were previously.

Sorry.
As I use Professional, I assumed the well known FL legacy comportment.

Your problem is that you have launched two versions of Workbench and these have always been restricted in this way

Which was stupid IMO.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-05-19 21:04 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why can't I run 2 instances of SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search