Cleaning function is a real mess - is this a viable alternative?
Thread poster: King Crimson (X)

King Crimson (X)
Poland
Local time: 17:08
German to Polish
+ ...
May 21, 2010

Hi there,

I've been using Trados for years (right now I use version 2007 8.3.0.863 Service Pack 3), and in every version there's been a problem with the Clean command with certain documents - Trados would mess them up badly or refuse cleaning them up at all. Today, after cleaning a particular document previously converted from PDF to DOC, the cleaned version had every word on a different page (duh!). On other occasions, especially with text frames, the Clean command sometimes stops and displays an error, and after that the document can't be cleaned at all.

Therefore, I found a different solution, and wanted to ask you whether it has any possible drawbacks or caveats compared to the Clean command. Right now I can't think of any, but before switching to this method for good, I'd like to ask those of you who are somehow deeper than me into the internal workings of this fascinating over-expensive and bug-ridden little piece of software whether it's actually a good idea. Here's the procedure:

1. Make hidden text visible
2. Edit -> Replace
3. Click Find What -> More
4. Click Format, choose Font
5. Check the Hidden option in the Effects section -> OK
6. Click Replace All

Viola, the hidden text and all "protected" (don't even start me on this one) Trados tags are gone in a fraction of a second (contrary to the time-consuming Clean command), and the adverse effects described above do not occur - I've checked with many of the documents that'd previously cause problems and all is swell.

So - can I keep doing it this way? Or am I overlooking something? After all, there must be some point in the Clean command, considering that it takes so incredibly long to finish with some documents (especially containing graphical elements, tables and text frames), mustn't it?

Regards,
Marek

[Edited at 2010-05-21 07:28 GMT]

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 18:08
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Clean macro May 21, 2010

Hi Marek,
I stopped using the Clean function a long time ago, when it caused my main TM to become irreversibly corrupted (the document had been edited and had something or other missing). Instead, I run the tw4winClean.Main macro (Alt-F8) which does a very nice job. For convenience purposes, I made a button for it so I don't have to go through the routine of finding the macro and running it.
HTH,
Sandra

King Crimson (X)
Poland
Local time: 17:08
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thx May 21, 2010

I've just checked it with the problematic documents where the Clean up tool would perviously fail - and what can I say, it just works great! Thank you for the tip!

Regards,
Marek

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cleaning function is a real mess - is this a viable alternative?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search