How to add a file to an existing project in SDL Studio 2009
Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:06
English to Dutch
+ ...
May 21, 2010

Yes, it's me again, trying to make sense of Studio. "Studio" comes from "studying", I guess, because that's what's required to get this convoluted machine to work and no mistake. The other day it suddenly told me the meaning of life to be "42", but I'll tell you about that another time.

Anyway, believe it or not, I have actually translated 3 or 4 files with Studio. I still hate it, it is a real step backwards for me in many ways, but it has functionalities Trados 2007 doesn't have, so what can I do but learn to ride this rollercoaster.

Yesterday I translated a file with Studio. Automatically a project was created. Today the client has another file for the same project. I opened the file with Studio, but Studio assigned the wrong languages. For reasons I cannot fathom, Studio stubbornly assumes newly opened files to have one certain language combination - not the one from yesterday's project.

I renamed the file, put it in the source file folder of yesterday's project, erased the new, unwanted project, opened yesterday's project and tried to add the new file into it. This is the error message that followed:

SDL Studio,SDL Trados,Trados,SDL Crap

Why on earth Studio is unable to take me to the "project source language" automatically is just one of the many Studio annoyances I'll never get used to. Then again, I would gladly go to the "project source language myself, but there is no button, tab or window with that name. Here I am, feeling like Alice in Wonderland and the Cheshire Cat isn't there when you need him.

Anybody here want to be my Cheshire Cat and solve the riddle?

Much obliged.

- Rien

[Edited at 2010-05-21 13:57 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:06
English
Not sure I want to be a cat but... May 21, 2010

Hi Marinus,

I agree with you that it would be much better if Studio simply switched as soon as you said "I want to add a file". That may appear in a later release, but for the time being this is what you have to do.

Switch to the target language of your Project by clicking on the dropdown link here. Studio can handle multilingual projects so this could contain any number of languages with the source being at the top. In my example en(US);

Once you have done this you need to run a batch task on this file to prepare properly. To do this just right click on the file, select Batch Tasks and then run the one you want, probably Prepare.

Then switch back to the relevant target language with the same drop down and double click the file to open it for translation.

In many ways, if this is how you want to work it would make sense for you to create a project from the start then you could keep all your projects in one place, use project templates, or base the projects on previously created projects, all of which make it easier to keep track of where you are. Just my opinion, but I have found many users prefer this once they get into the swing of it.

Last thing, is that the reason Studio assumed different languages is probably because you have the language pair that appeared (based on the source language selected) in your default template. This is another reason why using Projects in the first place can avoid the inconvenience of having to select a different language than the one you wanted as you can set up the templates to do whatever you like - based on Clients, language pairs, types of work, particular TM's, particular Termbases etc.

I hope this helps anyway?

Regards

Paul

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:06
English
A quick correction to the previous post May 21, 2010

Hi Marinus,

I forgot about this option;

This is most likely to be the reason you experience different languages to the ones you used before.

Regards

Paul

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:06
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved May 21, 2010

Excellent! It works. Elke was so kind to send me the same info in an e-mail, so thanks to both of you.

The trouble is that I'm going to have to remember. I find myself looking up issues on ProZ and finding my own question from a year ago. Aging sucks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to add a file to an existing project in SDL Studio 2009

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search