Romanian Diacritics in final word document replaced with Greek letters
Thread poster: Veronica Lupascu

Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:27
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
May 22, 2010

Hi All,

I have now a weird problem with my SDLX Trados 2007. I have translated before texts from Greek into Romanian and did not have any problems. Now when I previewed my Romanian translation in word, all the Romanian diacritics like ă, î, ţ, ş were replaced with Greek letters!!! Now I have to proofread all the text and to replace every single letter. I could apply Microsoft Word's function "Replace", but it seems that the same Romanian diacritic was replaced with different Greek letters.

Does anybody know why is this happening and how could I fix it? I'd appreciate any ideas

Thank you in advance!


Veronica


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:27
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Does the font used in the document exist on your computer? May 22, 2010

It looks like font problem in Word.
Did you check if you have all necessary fonts and/or if those fonts are able to show/print the special diacritics?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:27
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, but May 22, 2010

I changed the fonts and the problem persists

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:27
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please describe the way you translated the document May 22, 2010

Did you use Word as editor, SDLX or TagEditor?
Which Word format is the source?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:27
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... May 22, 2010

I used SDLX as editor and the source document was a word 2003 document.

I started replacing letter by letter I will finish in 15-20 minutes a relaxing job really

But it would be great to know the reason or a better solution, because I don't want it to happen again.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:27
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Source used a non-existent font May 22, 2010

(a font which is not present on your PC and most certainly does not support Romanian)
Word substituted that font with another one, SDLX subsituted that one by another one and that's the problem.
The starting problem is, that Word does not tell you, that you do not have the necessary font. Cheking upfront and changing to a font supporting your language is not a bad idea.
This is at least what I suppose to have happened here.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:27
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much! May 22, 2010

I will try to avoid it in the future. Everything is a lesson in this profession!

Have a nice weekend!


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Romanian Diacritics in final word document replaced with Greek letters

Advanced search







WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search