Thread poster: Veronica Lupascu

Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:33
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
May 22, 2010

Hi All,

I have now a weird problem with my SDLX Trados 2007. I have translated before texts from Greek into Romanian and did not have any problems. Now when I previewed my Romanian translation in word, all the Romanian diacritics like ă, î, ţ, ş were replaced with Greek letters!!! Now I have to proofread all the text and to replace every single letter. I could apply Microsoft Word's function "Replace", but it seems that the same Romanian diacritic was replaced with different Greek letters.

Does anybody know why is this happening and how could I fix it? I'd appreciate any ideasicon_smile.gif

Thank you in advance!

Veronica

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Does the font used in the document exist on your computer? May 22, 2010

It looks like font problem in Word.
Did you check if you have all necessary fonts and/or if those fonts are able to show/print the special diacritics?

Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, but May 22, 2010

I changed the fonts and the problem persistsicon_frown.gif

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please describe the way you translated the document May 22, 2010

Did you use Word as editor, SDLX or TagEditor?
Which Word format is the source?

Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... May 22, 2010

I used SDLX as editor and the source document was a word 2003 document.

I started replacing letter by lettericon_smile.gif I will finish in 15-20 minutesicon_smile.gif a relaxing jobicon_razz.gif really

But it would be great to know the reason or a better solution, because I don't want it to happen again.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Source used a non-existent font May 22, 2010

(a font which is not present on your PC and most certainly does not support Romanian)
Word substituted that font with another one, SDLX subsituted that one by another one and that's the problem.
The starting problem is, that Word does not tell you, that you do not have the necessary font. Cheking upfront and changing to a font supporting your language is not a bad idea.
This is at least what I suppose to have happened here.

Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much! May 22, 2010

I will try to avoid it in the future. Everything is a lesson in this profession!

Have a nice weekend!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Romanian Diacritics in final word document replaced with Greek letters

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search