Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Trados Studio: option to produce bilingual word file?
Thread poster: Grace Hughes

Grace Hughes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:15
Member (2009)
German to English
May 24, 2010

I have a new client who has asked for the translation to be completed in Trados and delivered in clean and unclean word files. Does anyone know if there is any way of creating a bilingual word file in Trados Studio 2009?

I started up as a freelancer just last year and bought Trados Studio 2009, which means that I am now very familiar with Trados Studio 2009 but not with the earlier Trados 2007 (although I have a version which came free with Studio). A lot of my clients still use Trados 2007, and this causes problems if they want work doing using functionality that was in Trados 2007 but which Trados Studio 2009 does not have. I've managed to work around this with .ttx files and exporting TMs etc., but now I'm really stuck with this problem of delivering a bilingual/unclean word file. If it is possible to do this using Trados Studio 2009 and it's simply a function that I have not yet discovered, I would be very grateful for any help. Failing that, if I have to use Trados 2007 to create a bilingual word file, can someone please tell me how? Thanks!

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
No May 24, 2010

But you can deliver a TTX - TagEditor file. You may need to persuade your customer that a TTX is ok first.

Open the Word file in TagEditor. Save as TTX. Close TagEditor. Open the file in studio, translate as normal. Save as TTX and Word file - deliver both.
Gillian

Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:15
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
In theory it is easy May 24, 2010

You just create an export file from the Studio TM in tmx format, which you can then import into Trados Work bench (part of Trados 2007 Suite). First create a new TM in Workbench (File / New), and then import the TM (file / import).
Then open the document to be translated in Word, and translate it using Workbench (open the first segment and then translate all matches). It should quickly translate the whole document and generate a bilingual file. Normally you would now clean up this file, generating two new files: a clean file with just the target text, and a .BAK file which is a bilingual backup file that you can send to your client. In your situation you can just send the first bilingual file since you already have a clean document from Studio.

However, I should warn you that I have had trouble with this because the segments do not always seem to be exactly the same in Studio and Suite, and you have to fiddle about filling in some of the segments manually; this may be due to the formatting in the source document.

In any case good luck.

In fact I have had such trouble with this that, for one client in paricular, I have decided that next time it will be easier to translate the document in Trados 2007 and then import the TM into Studio (to be prepared for the day when the client eventually updates to Studio), rather than the other way around.

[Edited at 2010-05-24 11:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-05-24 11:04 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-05-24 11:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-05-24 11:13 GMT]

Grace Hughes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 24, 2010

Thanks Gillian - yes I'm aware that you can create a ttx in Trados 2007 and then work with it in Studio, as this is something that I have had to do in the past for other clients. Unfortunately this particular client requires the bilingual file to be a word bilingual file and is not happy with a ttx file instead.

Mark, thanks ever so much for the information on how to do this in Trados 2007. It sounds nice and easy, but unfortunately not quick, at least for relatively long texts. And it would of course mean that I have to teach myself how to use Trados 2007 properly rather than being content with mastering Studio. It's just such a shame that the new Studio does not have all the old features that 2007 Suite does, as it's not exactly user-friendly having to use two versions of the software in combination or revert to the old superseded version in order to meet clients' (entirely reasonable) demands.

Anyway, thanks to you both for your help.

Cecelia Murphy
United States
Local time: 12:15
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Couldn't agree more. Nov 25, 2010

Period.

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:15
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
It is not difficult to use Suite 2007 Nov 25, 2010

Hello Grace,

there isn't anything difficult about Suite 2007. Actually, it is easier than Studioicon_wink.gif You only need to open a TM (or create it), open your file, open the first segment and start translate. You don't need to know more than

- how to open a segment

- how to close, save it and open the next one

- save the file regularly

- how to clean the file

That's it.

Personally, I am more than happy that Studio does not support/create/deliver bilingual MSWord files. 2007 does that for me and one application is more than enough.

Please do not misunderstand me, I do have clients, actually most of them, who still stick to the 2007 version and some of them insist on having MSWord bilingual files, even though they create more troubles than benefits. Sooner or later they'll all have to move on, too, and bilingual MSWord files will not be required any longer. Studio files are bilingual files, the "problem" is that many, perhaps too many, are not ready to move on (or invest, licenses are quite an investment) and stick to what they know and think the best solution... alas, they do not have to work on those MSWord issues-loaded filesicon_biggrin.gif

Giuliana

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Yes you can... Nov 26, 2010

... and you can use Studio, but only if you use other CAT tools as conversion tools. Use the demo versions and after they expired, abuse helpful colleagues for iticon_wink.gif.

That said... I do not feel abused when I am approached to perform such a step, so you are welcome to give it a try.

[Bearbeitet am 2010-11-26 01:46 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Quickly? Nov 26, 2010

Mark Nathan wrote:
You just create an export file from the Studio TM in tmx format, which you can then import into Trados Work bench (part of Trados 2007 Suite). First create a new TM in Workbench (File / New), and then import the TM (file / import).
Then open the document to be translated in Word, and translate it using Workbench (open the first segment and then translate all matches). It should quickly translate the whole document and generate a bilingual file.

I must really wonder whether this is true. The TM in TMX format will contain plenty of tags for formatting etc, whereas Trados in Word does not use the tags. How well does Trados 2007 correlate the formats (bolds, font changes, Italics, etc.) with the tags contained in the TMX export is the key here. And that is why you cannot quickly retranslate in Word.

To me, this is a very logical request, and one that other CAT tools implement very nicely.

For instance, with MemoQ you not only can make a bilingual Trados-compatible Word file from any format (not only Word files), but you can also export a Word file containing all segments in two columns (source and target) for a reviewer who does not have MemoQ or any other tool; after review, you import the edited segments in seconds. This is the kind of functionality that helps translators; having to translate your documents twice does not help at all.

dhsanjeev  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:45
English to Hindi
+ ...
Bilingual file Nov 26, 2010

YOu can creat bilingual file using Trados 2007 in Word. This is also known as Unclean file. Open your word and From Tools- TEMPLATE and ADD IN click to select Trados8 template. It will provide you interface of Trados for working in word itself. NOw form Trados open Trados Workbench and either create a new TM or open an existing one. And now you are ready to create a bilingual file in Word itself.
Grace Hughes wrote:

I have a new client who has asked for the translation to be completed in Trados and delivered in clean and unclean word files. Does anyone know if there is any way of creating a bilingual word file in Trados Studio 2009?

I started up as a freelancer just last year and bought Trados Studio 2009, which means that I am now very familiar with Trados Studio 2009 but not with the earlier Trados 2007 (although I have a version which came free with Studio). A lot of my clients still use Trados 2007, and this causes problems if they want work doing using functionality that was in Trados 2007 but which Trados Studio 2009 does not have. I've managed to work around this with .ttx files and exporting TMs etc., but now I'm really stuck with this problem of delivering a bilingual/unclean word file. If it is possible to do this using Trados Studio 2009 and it's simply a function that I have not yet discovered, I would be very grateful for any help. Failing that, if I have to use Trados 2007 to create a bilingual word file, can someone please tell me how? Thanks!

Jonathan Hopkins  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Bilingual preview editor for TS09 Nov 26, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

For instance, with MemoQ you not only can make a bilingual Trados-compatible Word file from any format (not only Word files), but you can also export a Word file containing all segments in two columns (source and target) for a reviewer who does not have MemoQ or any other tool; after review, you import the edited segments in seconds. This is the kind of functionality that helps translators; having to translate your documents twice does not help at all.

I don't know of another workaround to deliver an unclean Word file other than the one suggested by Mark, but as for exporting a file with all segments in two columns for review and editing purposes there is a free application offered on the SDL site to do this:

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/partners/sdl-openexchange/browse-studio-applications/apps/bilingual-preview-generator.asp

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
I think you have the point round the wrong way Nov 26, 2010

To me, this is a very logical request, and one that other CAT tools implement very nicely.

The other CAT tools are imitating Trados (before Studio) because Trados is the market leader and any other tool has to do what Trados can do. Trados on the other hand feels they can do what they like because they are the leader.

Word + Workbench is out of date technology and I would ban it if I could. In a few years' time nobody will be asking for Word + Workbench - it will be as defunct as programming in DOS. Some of my clients need educating that the world has moved on. At the very least they need to update to translating Word files in TagEditor. But people's brains and habits move on much slower than the technology - Recently I had to provide a TM export. "TMX? Dunno what that is." OK, TXT file then. "That TXT doesn't work." OK, my dear customer, here's the TXT for the really, really old versions of Trados. "Thank you, that's perfect!" I could cry...

Should Trados have included the function in Studio 2009 - yes, I think they should have. But they don't consider it necessary - and they are the ones with the pipe - so start dancing!
Gillian

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The incorrect attitude Nov 26, 2010

Gillian Searl wrote:
Should Trados have included the function in Studio 2009 - yes, I think they should have. But they don't consider it necessary - and they are the ones with the pipe - so start dancing!
Gillian

Exactly this is the attitude that has made many translators angry with SDL all over the years. Now there are luckily better options in CAT tools and in vendors, in a big part because of this attitude.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
I totally agree with you Nov 26, 2010

Exactly this is the attitude that has made many translators angry with SDL all over the years. Now there are luckily better options in CAT tools and in vendors, in a big part because of this attitude.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Use the SDLXLIFF Generator Nov 28, 2010

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:

I don't know of another workaround to deliver an unclean Word file other than the one suggested by Mark, but as for exporting a file with all segments in two columns for review and editing purposes there is a free application offered on the SDL site to do this:

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/partners/sdl-openexchange/browse-studio-applications/apps/bilingual-preview-generator.asp

I second Jonathan's suggestion as this will allow you to create a bilingual file that you can edit in Word and send back. The new version which should be released very soon will allow you to reintegrate the changes made in the Word document into the SDLXLIFF file in your Studio project.

Walter

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great! Nov 28, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:
I second Jonathan's suggestion as this will allow you to create a bilingual file that you can edit in Word and send back. The new version which should be released very soon will allow you to reintegrate the changes made in the Word document into the SDLXLIFF file in your Studio project.

Great! It's good to know that the market leader copies MemoQ in this.icon_smile.gif

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio: option to produce bilingual word file?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search