Term Recognition not working properly in Workbench 2007 (but working properly in Studio)
Thread poster: aasimar
May 24, 2010

Hi everyone,

I might be wrong, but I'm assuming this post got approved so late (I made the mistake of posting over the weekend, and I do understand that moderators have lives too) that it might not have gotten the attention it would have otherwise:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/163460-can_trados_2007_work_with_multiple_mt_8_termbases_at_the_same_time.html

I've made some progress since, but not in regard to fixing the issue, just in finding out a bit more about what the issue was.

1) I uninstalled and reinstalled all the programs included in Studio, Multiterm 2009, and SDL Trados 2007, as well as Multiterm 2007, of which I already had a copy from having purchased SDL Trados 2007 previously.

2) I tried working with Workbench first (using Multiterm 2009), and everything was working great - I was able to use multiple termbases correctly at the same time. For those who didn't read the above link, the problem was that I wasn't able to use multiple termbases in Workbench with Multiterm 2009.

3) I then used Studio by running the LaunchStudio.bat file that SDL released to deal with the problem of term recognition not working after using the feature in Workbench 2007. So far, so good.

4) Here's the kicker: Next time I tried to use Workbench with Multiterm 2009, I was able to use multiple termbases if they had all been created BEFORE running the LaunchStudio.bat file. But any termbases created after that would not work with other termbases. The specific problem was as follows:

Termbases before running the file: A, B, C
Termbases after running the file: D, E

If Workbench detects that a term in is these termbases, it will indicate it by showing A, B, C, D, E. However, it will only show the target term in A, B,C, and not the one in D and E. Or it will show the one in D, but not the one in A, B, C, and E (I know this sounds complicated - there's a clearer example in the link I included above).

In other words, I think that the LaunchStudio.bat file fixes term recognition for Studio, but ruins it (permanently, it seems) for Workbench 2007! And to make matters worse, the Side by Side tools seem to have messed up Multiterm 2007 completely (it worked fine initially, but when I tried to activate it after activating 2009, it stopped working).

Has anyone had this happen to them? Any solutions out there?

I really find it unacceptable for what is essentially an expensive niche program to have so many important bugs after two service packs. And before someone mentions that similar programs do not offer free support, I only have two words to say: Finale and Sibelius - both similar in their price range and in that they are aimed at niche markets. Winzip also provides free support, but the program's much more simple, so I avoided the comparison. I did not get a support contract because I'm pretty computer savvy and I don't believe I should be paying for getting problems fixed that shouldn't be there in the first place - someone already posted a webcomic satirizing the approach in another technical forum this past week!

[Edited at 2010-05-24 10:37 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:37
English
Hotfix - KB 2852 May 24, 2010

Hi,

Try http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2852&p=1
Cumulative hotfix for TagEditor and Terminology Verifier interoperability with SDL MultiTerm 2009

This may help.

Regards

Paul

aasimar
TOPIC STARTER
Different issue May 24, 2010

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for trying to help with this issue. Unfortunately, however, the problem is different - it's not TagEditor that isn't working, but rather the Term Recognition function in Workbench, regardless of whether I work in TagEditor or in MS Word.

For example: I just created a sample sentence in Word that only says "Schale," a word found in three of my termbases. When I open the segment in Word, the term recognition pane shows the following:

Schale E:\Work\Translation\Multiterm 2009 Termbases\Buildings.sdltb
shell
Schale E:\Work\Translation\Multiterm 2009 Termbases\General.sdltb
Schale E:\Work\Translation\Multiterm 2009 Termbases\CompanyTerms.sdltb

In this case, "Buildings" was the default termbase. If I change the default termbase to "General," the following appears

dish
tray
Schale E:\Work\Translation\Multiterm 2009 Termbases\CompanyTerms.sdltb
bowl, cup, shell, skin
Schale E:\Work\Translation\Multiterm 2009 Termbases\Buildings.sdltb

i.e., the term recognition function is detecting the fact that the word is found in all the termbases, but it is not showing the target word for all of them (before doing the uninstallation/installation routine, I wasn't able to work with any termbases at the same time. Now, the ones that existed before the routine can be used together).

Unless you mean that the cumulative hotfix can also help with this problem? In which case I will try it. I just don't want to mess around with the setup any more than is necessary for obvious reasons.

Once again, thanks for trying to help - I really appreciate it.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
KB 3093 May 24, 2010

Hi,

Try this one. I think you're right and I pointed you in the wrong direction, sorry.

Term recognition may stop working in SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP2 after running SDL Trados Translator's Workbench
http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3093&p=1

The fix will cause Studio, on start up, to repair the problem caused everytime Workbench is run.

Regards

Paul

aasimar
TOPIC STARTER
Different issue again May 24, 2010

Hi Paul,

Once again, I'm afraid that's a different issue. The problem is with term recognition in Workbench (SDL Trados 2007), not Studio 2009. After I ran the LaunchStudio.bat file, term recognition started working again in Studio 2009, but stopped working properly in Workbench 2007, i.e., after I ran the file, Workbench was no longer able to perform term recognition with multiple termbases in Workbench 2007. I'm trying to fix the issue with Workbench.

Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 15:37
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
This is not an isolated incident May 26, 2010

Let me start by saying that I actually know aasimar personally, and he's been staying at my place for a few days to try and fix this and other issues. In fact, he only knows of Finale's and Sibelius' support because of me and, coincidentally, he's right. The programs are similar to Studio 2009 in terms of their price tag and in that they are products for a niche market, but they actually do offer support, and very good support at that.

For anyone wondering if this problem is an isolated incident - it isn't. The same exact thing happened to me, except I had an easy solution. I now work with Studio on one computer and with Workbench on a different one - by keeping them completely separate, I can make sure that they both work properly with MultiTerm and that I don't spend hours trying to fix an issue that shouldn't be there in the first place. But I have several computers at home, and I use two of them exclusively for work - not everyone has that luxury, aasimar included.

I find the webcomic that I posted here: http://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/171293-frustrated_with_software_support.html and that aasimar mentioned to be awfully relevant here. We're not talking about power features or about aasimar blaming SDL for not making his own backups or having unreasonable expectations. Term Recognition not working properly is like not being able to use eighth notes (quavers for those who don't speak American or Canadian English) in a music notation program, or like not being able to use the letters "A," "H," "P," and "R" in Word. It's unacceptable (no offense to Paul, who is obviously trying to help here and is obviously not at fault either). I saw aasimar literally uninstall and install everything on an impeccably clean system to try and fix the problem, and just when it looked like it was just one of those installation errors that happen inexplicably, Term Recognition on Workbench with multiple MultiTerm 2009 termbases failed again in the exact same way it had before.

The sad thing is that aasimar (and hopefully I as well, since I was helping him) did his research and read all the knowledgebase articles that were relevant to his problem (like the KB 3093 article mentioned by Paul) and also looked through Proz and other similar sites to see if he could find a solution. On top of that, he was extremely detailed in describing the exact issue that he was having, all to no avail. I understand that SDL may be reluctant to provide support when people would be writing in all the time to ask how to export TMs and could not be bothered with reading the manuals or going through the tutorials (as the posts on this forum will often attest to) - that's fine. But when someone has a legitimate problem like this, having to pay for support is simply ludicrous. So much so that he has gone and bought a competing product. I'm more patient and have a setup that allowed me to circumvent the problem, so unlike him, I didn't uninstall Studio and Workbench. But even then, I can't blame him for doing what he did - he's already lost days trying to fix this problem and became incredibly disheartened.

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Agree with Marcelo May 26, 2010

Marcelo Silveyra wrote:

I find the webcomic that I posted here: http://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/171293-frustrated_with_software_support.html and that aasimar mentioned to be awfully relevant here.

I agree completely. (Actually, when I saw the cartoon in the other thread, I immediately thought of Studio.) The lack of a proper manual for Studio (similar to the 400+-page Workbench manual), included with the product, is an extremely serious shortcoming.

Attila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Term Recognition not working properly in Workbench 2007 (but working properly in Studio)

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search