Office 2007 files - Umlaute replaced with Asian characters in TM (translation with TagEditor)
Thread poster: Robert Paulig
Robert Paulig
Robert Paulig
Local time: 21:45
Member (2019)
English to German
+ ...
May 25, 2010

Hi all,

When translating a docx file in TagEditor (I'm using Trados 8.0.0.826), all German Umlaute (ä, ö, ü) and 'ß' will be replaced and entered into the Translation Memory as strange Asian characters.
Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Probably: combined font and language problem in Word and TagEditor May 25, 2010

Please open the Word file and check:

• if you have all fonts used in this file
  • should fonts be missing, replace them manualy by fonts existing on your system
  • check, if the Normal style does not by any chance have any Asian languages defined
  • if so, try to replace the affected styles by styles with the same name and formatting, created in an empty new document on your co... See more
Please open the Word file and check:

• if you have all fonts used in this file
  • should fonts be missing, replace them manualy by fonts existing on your system
  • check, if the Normal style does not by any chance have any Asian languages defined
  • if so, try to replace the affected styles by styles with the same name and formatting, created in an empty new document on your computer

Save this file.
Before you start Workbench and TagEditor go to Filter Settings (to be found in Trados program group under Filters).
Select Word 2007 as file type.
Go to "Display formatting and font mapping". Switch both options off.
Here is an example of the corresponding setting for Word 2003.

This way you will prevent TagEditor from substituting any fonts and the German characters should be stored properly now.

BTW, your Trados version is completly outdated...

[Edited at 2010-05-25 09:26 GMT]
Collapse

Robert Paulig
Robert Paulig
Member (2019)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help May 25, 2010

Thanks a lot Jerzy for your detailed response. However, the problem remains. I have now figured out that the Umlaute are only replaced in certain segments, not in all of them (I couldn't find a pattern for this so far).

So probably I will need to convert the docx to a Word 2003 file (as this never caused any of the mentioned issues).

Thanks for your hint re the Trados version, it's part of Trados 2007 so
... See more
Thanks a lot Jerzy for your detailed response. However, the problem remains. I have now figured out that the Umlaute are only replaced in certain segments, not in all of them (I couldn't find a pattern for this so far).

So probably I will need to convert the docx to a Word 2003 file (as this never caused any of the mentioned issues).

Thanks for your hint re the Trados version, it's part of Trados 2007 so I was a bit surprised to hear its outdated.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Last version is 8.3.0.863 May 25, 2010

And 8.0.0.826 has many problems, mainly regarding Tageditor.
However, this does not mean that your problem would have been resolved with the SP3 version (which, btw, AFAIK should be available in your SDL account to you for free, as this wasn't any upgrade, but just an update).
Could you please highlihght one or two such paragraphs in the W2007 file and send it to me?
My email is info at tts minus td dot com

Thanks
Regards
Jerzy

Robert Paulig
Robert Paulig
Member (2019)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Email sent ... May 25, 2010

just sent the email to you. will check the update, thanks a million for pointing out.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
SP2 May 25, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

And 8.0.0.826 has many problems, mainly regarding Tageditor.
However, this does not mean that your problem would have been resolved with the SP3 version (which, btw, AFAIK should be available in your SDL account to you for free, as this wasn't any upgrade, but just an update).

Technically speaking, yes.
But it was a paid upgrade aka 2007 Suite.
The available version should be SP2 (8.2.0.835).
Nonetheless, it's far better than the plain vanilla 8.0 builds.

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Office 2007 files - Umlaute replaced with Asian characters in TM (translation with TagEditor)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »