how to type Slovak quotation marks
Thread poster: metallus

metallus
Local time: 23:11
May 25, 2010

Is it somehow possible to tell Sdlx editor and Tageditor to type the Slovak version of quotation marks?
i mean although I have no problem typing Slovak characters, I always get the English version of quotation marks (i.e "quote" instead of „quote“).

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use ALT+0132 and ALT+0147 May 25, 2010

And you get „ and “

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
keyboard shortcuts May 26, 2010

Czech quotation marks are the same as Slovak. The Alt+[number] solution is OK unless you have a laptop without a numpad; and if you have to type quotation marks often, a keyboard shortcut is handy even on a dekstop. I myself use AutoHotKeys to assign the Czech quotation marks to shortcuts Ctrl+F5 and Ctrl+F6 (but I have to use them heavily because I also translate books of fiction, where they come very often).

Antonin

Karletto
English to Slovenian
+ ...
?? May 26, 2010

solution is OK unless you have a laptop without a numpad

Every keyboard has a numpad. I can use numpad numers by holding Fn +
J for 1
K for 2
L for 3
U for 4
I for 5
O for 6
M for 0
Numpad number, which usually has different colour, is written on the key.
Hold Fn and press F11 in order to turn the numad on/off.

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Macro May 26, 2010

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

Czech quotation marks are the same as Slovak. The Alt+[number] solution is OK unless you have a laptop without a numpad; and if you have to type quotation marks often, a keyboard shortcut is handy even on a dekstop. I myself use AutoHotKeys to assign the Czech quotation marks to shortcuts Ctrl+F5 and Ctrl+F6 (but I have to use them heavily because I also translate books of fiction, where they come very often).

Antonin

If you use Autohotkey, you can easily make it to type out opening quote when you press " for the first time and closing quote when you press it the second time.

+'::
if rightbr = 1
{
rightbr = 0
Send {ASC 0148}
}
Else
{
rightbr = 1
Send {ASC 0132}
}
return

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
The Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator May 26, 2010

I used this tool (available here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964665.aspx) to create a modified Polish layout with the opening and closing quotes assigned to ALT ; and ALT ' respectively, as well as the n-dash to ALT - and m-dash to ALT SHIFT -. Works very well and I can easily insert those characters anywhere.

metallus
TOPIC STARTER
thx May 26, 2010

This Autohotkey utility is just awesome. Thx for the heads-up guys.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to type Slovak quotation marks

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search