how to type Slovak quotation marks
Thread poster: metallus

metallus
Local time: 02:23
May 25, 2010

Is it somehow possible to tell Sdlx editor and Tageditor to type the Slovak version of quotation marks?
i mean although I have no problem typing Slovak characters, I always get the English version of quotation marks (i.e "quote" instead of „quote“).

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use ALT+0132 and ALT+0147 May 25, 2010

And you get „ and “

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
keyboard shortcuts May 26, 2010

Czech quotation marks are the same as Slovak. The Alt+[number] solution is OK unless you have a laptop without a numpad; and if you have to type quotation marks often, a keyboard shortcut is handy even on a dekstop. I myself use AutoHotKeys to assign the Czech quotation marks to shortcuts Ctrl+F5 and Ctrl+F6 (but I have to use them heavily because I also translate books of fiction, where they come very often).

Antonin

Karletto
English to Slovenian
+ ...
?? May 26, 2010

solution is OK unless you have a laptop without a numpad

Every keyboard has a numpad. I can use numpad numers by holding Fn +
J for 1
K for 2
L for 3
U for 4
I for 5
O for 6
M for 0
Numpad number, which usually has different colour, is written on the key.
Hold Fn and press F11 in order to turn the numad on/off.

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Macro May 26, 2010

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

Czech quotation marks are the same as Slovak. The Alt+[number] solution is OK unless you have a laptop without a numpad; and if you have to type quotation marks often, a keyboard shortcut is handy even on a dekstop. I myself use AutoHotKeys to assign the Czech quotation marks to shortcuts Ctrl+F5 and Ctrl+F6 (but I have to use them heavily because I also translate books of fiction, where they come very often).

Antonin

If you use Autohotkey, you can easily make it to type out opening quote when you press " for the first time and closing quote when you press it the second time.

+'::
if rightbr = 1
{
rightbr = 0
Send {ASC 0148}
}
Else
{
rightbr = 1
Send {ASC 0132}
}
return

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
The Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator May 26, 2010

I used this tool (available here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964665.aspx) to create a modified Polish layout with the opening and closing quotes assigned to ALT ; and ALT ' respectively, as well as the n-dash to ALT - and m-dash to ALT SHIFT -. Works very well and I can easily insert those characters anywhere.

metallus
TOPIC STARTER
thx May 26, 2010

This Autohotkey utility is just awesome. Thx for the heads-up guys.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to type Slovak quotation marks

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search