how to type Slovak quotation marks
Thread poster: Lubos Valkovic
Lubos Valkovic
Lubos Valkovic
Local time: 13:16
English to Slovak
May 25, 2010

Is it somehow possible to tell Sdlx editor and Tageditor to type the Slovak version of quotation marks?
i mean although I have no problem typing Slovak characters, I always get the English version of quotation marks (i.e "quote" instead of „quote“).

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use ALT+0132 and ALT+0147 May 25, 2010

And you get „ and “

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
keyboard shortcuts May 26, 2010

Czech quotation marks are the same as Slovak. The Alt+[number] solution is OK unless you have a laptop without a numpad; and if you have to type quotation marks often, a keyboard shortcut is handy even on a dekstop. I myself use AutoHotKeys to assign the Czech quotation marks to shortcuts Ctrl+F5 and Ctrl+F6 (but I have to use them heavily because I also translate books of fiction, where they come very often).

Antonin

Karletto
Karletto
English to Slovenian
+ ...
?? May 26, 2010

solution is OK unless you have a laptop without a numpad

Every keyboard has a numpad. I can use numpad numers by holding Fn +
J for 1
K for 2
L for 3
U for 4
I for 5
O for 6
M for 0
Numpad number, which usually has different colour, is written on the key.
Hold Fn and press F11 in order to turn the numad on/off.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Macro May 26, 2010

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

Czech quotation marks are the same as Slovak. The Alt+[number] solution is OK unless you have a laptop without a numpad; and if you have to type quotation marks often, a keyboard shortcut is handy even on a dekstop. I myself use AutoHotKeys to assign the Czech quotation marks to shortcuts Ctrl+F5 and Ctrl+F6 (but I have to use them heavily because I also translate books of fiction, where they come very often).

Antonin

If you use Autohotkey, you can easily make it to type out opening quote when you press " for the first time and closing quote when you press it the second time.

+'::
if rightbr = 1
{
rightbr = 0
Send {ASC 0148}
}
Else
{
rightbr = 1
Send {ASC 0132}
}
return

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
The Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator May 26, 2010

I used this tool (available here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964665.aspx) to create a modified Polish layout with the opening and closing quotes assigned to ALT ; and ALT ' respectively, as well as the n-dash to ALT - and m-dash to ALT SHIFT -. Works very well and I can easily insert those characters anywhere.

Lubos Valkovic
Lubos Valkovic
English to Slovak
TOPIC STARTER
thx May 26, 2010

This Autohotkey utility is just awesome. Thx for the heads-up guys.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to type Slovak quotation marks

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »