Upgrade to SDL 2009 - problems with Word and MT 2009
Thread poster: Kerensa Cracknell

Kerensa Cracknell  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 09:24
Member (2007)
French to English
May 26, 2010

I have just "upgraded" from SDL Freelance 2007 to SDL Trados 2009 and am really wishing I hadn't. Everything used to work quite happily with my old set-up and now I am experiencing multiple problems.

1) I have lost the two main termbases that I used - which I had built up over 2 years and which had thousands of very useful terms in. The documentation says they should have been backed up and converted but I can't find them anywhere.

2) I'm getting error messages (see below) when I open up Word and Workbench, and can't use MT 2009 with Word at all.
- "The macro cannot be found or has been disabled because of your Macro security settings" [Show Help] [OK]. (Show Help takes me to Word's help - no help whatsoever).
- then, after OK'ing the first one (twice) I get "Compile Error in hidden module: AutoExec". This one disappears when I OK it, but if I select the SDL MultiTerm tab it appears again and won't go away. I have to start the Task Manager, end Word with the End Task function and restart the PC.

3) Workbench seems to have problems using my existing TMs. I often get an error message saying "(3) The system cannot find the path specified" [followed by the directory where the TM sits]. This does not happen for every TU - only about 70% of the time. Then for the subsequent TU, Workbench enters what I saved for the previous TU as a 100% match. Very frustrating and very bizarre.

Strangely, the latter two problems are happening on my desktop (Windows Vista, Office 2007) and not on my laptop (Windows 2007 Home Premium, Office 2007, brand new last week).

4) TagEditor on my desktop is looking for a TM that was last used before the upgrade, which I have since deleted after sending back to the client - I can't get past the error message that it's looking for a TM that doesn't exist any more, even though in Workbench I have opened up another TM. I haven't tried TagEditor on the laptop yet.

The only thing that is working better than before is SDLX. TagEditor doesn't work at all due to the path problem described above.

Any ideas at all would be very, very welcome. I can't find any useful information on the SDL website either in FAQs or the knowledge base and I don't have the right level of support to call them. I risk missing a deadline if I don't get this sorted out and am VERY frustrated! My next step is going to be to uninstall everything and reinstall Office and then SDL 2007. What a waste of USD206.


 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:24
English
Installation Problem May 26, 2010

Hi Kerensa,

This really is an installation problem, so of course you qualify for support. I have taken your post and logged a case through the Solution Finder on your behalf. You should be contacted in due course by support.

Regards

Paul


 

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:24
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Open first TWB and then TE May 26, 2010

Hello Kerensa,

as to the TM problems:

a) check whether you had set up a reference TM and if it is still available at the indicated path (it happens to me each time I had my PC in stand-by and my ref TM is on a network drive). If it is simply re-select it). It doesn't happen all the time, as for ex. concordance searches first in the project TM and then in the reference TM)

b) first open TWB and select a TM and then TagEditor. You might want to uncheck the option "open last used TM" on start-up (can't remember the exact wording, but that's it)

(can't help you with MultiTerm, as I only use WebTerm) Just guessing: have you checked your macro setting in MSWord? Make sure SDL macros are "trusted".

Giuliana


 

Kerensa Cracknell  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 09:24
Member (2007)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 26, 2010

Thank you Paul for logging a support ticket - much appreciated!

Thank you also Giuliana for your tips - I will take a look and try that option in TWB. I don't have a reference TM set up - I have multiple TMs (for different clients) and I use the relevant one each time. Sometimes if it's a one-off job I don't keep the TM but I've never had problems with deleting one before. Usually I use one of the TMs that I keep on my work drive for regular clients and just swap between TMs as necessary depending on the job.

Thanks again both - any further comments still very welcome!


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrade to SDL 2009 - problems with Word and MT 2009

Advanced search







BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search