SDL Trados Studio 2009: Failed to initialize view 'Editor view'
Thread poster: lch1908
lch1908
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:03
French to English
+ ...
May 29, 2010

I foolishly attempted to transfer my SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance licence from my laptop to my desktop. This didn't work as SDL says that I need a Pro licence for my desktop computer. This isn't the case as my computer isn't in a network although I did buy it from my old company when I left to start freelancing, so that may be the cause of the problem. Anyway, that's by the by.

When I transferred the licence back on to my laptop and tried to open the program, I got the following error message: Failed to initialize view 'Editor view'.

I have attempted to follow the advice given here: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/155192-error:_failed_to_initialize_editor_view.html.

I have uninstalled, reinstalled and rebooted my computer several times but still receive the same error message.

I have attempted to remove the files mentioned by the SDL Support team (BaseSettings.xml, Plugincache.xml, UserSettings.xml), but I couldn't find the ApplicationData folder. I get as far as C:\Documents and Settings\Lauren and then I get stuck - there is no folder called Application Data, so I couldn't actually find the files in question.

My OS is Windows XP.

I have not attempted to clean my Registry as I did a little reading up on the matter and it doesn't seem to be an operation that should be attempted by a novice like myself.

I requested assistance on the SDL website a few days ago but have yet to receive a reply.

I'm sorry if I'm being really dim, but I have no idea what to do now and I really need to get the program back up and running. Any advice will be gratefully received.

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:03
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
location of the xml files May 29, 2010

I had a problem locating these 3 files when I had to do this a few months ago. (I also run xp)

Try these paths:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local setting\Application data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\

I found them in the first two paths and had to delete them from both places.

HTH

RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:03
English to Japanese
+ ...
It's a hidden "system folder" May 29, 2010

So, you need to change the properties to show the system folders and files. Start Windows Explorer, and go to Tools menu >> Folder Options >> View tab. Select Show Hidden Files and Folders and deselect Hide Protected Operating System Files. Then you will see the folder and files you are looking for.

Good luck!
Rie

PS: You may have to log in as a administrator or with the admin privilege.

[Edited at 2010-05-29 13:44 GMT]

lch1908
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:03
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both for your help Jun 7, 2010

Hello Emma and Rie, and thank you both for responding to me the other week. Apologies for not thanking you sooner but in the end I managed to get Trados up and running again on my desktop and then I just got swamped with work.

Anyway, I have now managed to sort out the problem on my laptop so I can at last switch between my desktop and laptop as need be.

Thank you both again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2009: Failed to initialize view 'Editor view'

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search