SDL Studio 2009: SDLXLIFF does not convert back into TTX
Thread poster: Peter Fischer
Peter Fischer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:41
English to German
+ ...
May 31, 2010

Is it possible to convert back from SDLXLIFF to TTX format? I could not.

What happened:
I have translated an TTX with SDL Studio 2009. Now, I cannot save the translation in the original file format. When I try to save the translation via 'Save Target Text As', the program seems to crash. (i. e. no reaction - it has to be closed by Task Manager > End Process).

My solutions (that did not solve the problem):
I tried to follow the steps from SDL's 'Upgrading from SDL Trados 2007 to SDL Trados Studio 2009_DE' guide. This did end up in the same - the program crashed.

Unfortunately, SDL Knowledge Base could not help. I tried the following solution with negative result:
When saving a TradosTag (TTX) document as target in SDL Trados Studio, it may not be possible to save it in the original format
1. In SDL Trados Studio, save the target in TTX format.
2. Generate the target document in the original file format using SDL Trados TagEditor or SDL Trados Translator's Workbench from the SDL Trados 2007 suite of applications.

http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2n/index.aspx?c=&cpc=&cid=&cat=&catURL=&r=0.403743505477905

When I tried to open the sdlxliff file in TagEditor, Tageditor said (sdlxliff) files do not match with INI files (I tried quite a few INIs).

Does anybody have an idea or a workaround?

Thank you,
Peter

[Bearbeitet am 2010-05-31 14:15 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2010-05-31 14:18 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2010-05-31 14:31 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Why sdlxliff? May 31, 2010

Hi Peter,

If I'm not completely misinterpreting the documentation, you should be able to simply open a TTX in Studio, translate it, and then save the translated file as TTX again. No sdlxliff file involved at all.

HTH
Stefan

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
why sdlxliff - because of the SDL Upgrade Guide May 31, 2010

When I want to edit the TTX file in SDL Trados Studio, the file format is automatically converted into SDLXLIFF at a certain point.

This happened because I followed the steps from SDL's Upgrade Guide which says (in German, section 8-2):
Beachten Sie, dass die TTX-Datei als SDLXLIFF-Datei, also im Nachfolgeformat von TTX und ITD, abgespeichert wird.

[In English you may read Please note that the TTX file will be saved as an SDLXLIFF file which is the next generation format of TTX and ITD.]

However, if you have an idea how to avoid this conversion, you are welcome to share it.

Cheers,
Peter

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply from SDL Support with Workaround Jun 14, 2010

This is what the kind engineer from SDL Support suggested as workaround:

'The trial is to open any document at all so it is in the Editor view and available for you to translate. Now open the SDLXLIFF you sent me and see if you can save the TTX. The important thing here being that you already have a document open in the Editor (you can have as many as you like open so this is ok). '

I tried this workaround and it helped me to save the file as TTX in the end.

Cheers,
Peter

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
An update to this Jun 15, 2010

Hi,

Just a quick update here. It's inconclusive why this problem occurs, possibly it's because an older version of TTX was created or the 2007 installation was corrupt, and the QuickInserts toolbar fails to initialise. This is why opening another document first forced this to be active so when you subsequently opened the affected TTX it worked.

We have resolved this in a later build that will be available soon.

Regards

Paul

erickl  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 04:41
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
The question remains Jun 20, 2010

I have Trados 2007, SXXLLIFF files, and my customers send and want back a TTX file. What the heck am I to do? I already lost one customer!

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
ericki, Jun 20, 2010

I can't understand your problem.
If you have Trados 2007 and your client has sent you a ttx, then you can open Tag Editor and translate it.
If you also have Studio 2009 (- this is unclear from your post. Does having SLDXLIFF files mean you have Studio?) then you can open the ttx in Studio and save as ttx.
You shouldn't be losing clients over this.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
This is what you are to do... Jun 20, 2010

erickl wrote:

I have Trados 2007, SXXLLIFF files, and my customers send and want back a TTX file. What the heck am I to do? I already lost one customer!

Read the manual first – and – proceed as suggested by Emma.

New Zealand
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Studio Jun 20, 2010

I receive a TTX bilingual file, if I open it in Trados Studio, there is no option whether I do Save or Save as that I can see. As of the manual, I could not find anything that mentions the reverting to TTX for bilingual files, sorry

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Really? Jun 20, 2010

erickl wrote:

I receive a TTX bilingual file, if I open it in Trados Studio, there is no option whether I do Save or Save as that I can see. As of the manual, I could not find anything that mentions the reverting to TTX for bilingual files, sorry

Do you use the same Studio as I do?
My program allows me to save the file back in the format I received and opened it. This function is called "Save target as..."
BTW, the help has a clear description of working with TTX files. Just open the help and search for TTX.

New Zealand
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Thanks Jerzy Jun 20, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

erickl wrote:

My program allows me to save the file back in the format I received and opened it. This function is called "Save target as..."
BTW, the help has a clear description of working with TTX files. Just open the help and search for TTX.

You're absolutely right! Call me a dummy but I would never have thought that "Save Target as" would save the bilingual document and not the target language document.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Saving Target Document - TTX Jun 20, 2010

Hi Eric,

I think the confusion is coming from the fact that when you open a TTX then the default save target as will save a TTX as this is the target document. The bilingual document in Studio is an SDLXLIFF. However, because TTX is also a bilingual format Studio allows you to decide whether you want to save as a TTX or whatever the original file format was prior to converting to TTX.

Regards

Paul

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
Not what we're used too. Jun 21, 2010

erickl wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

erickl wrote:

You're absolutely right! Call me a dummy but I would never have thought that "Save Target as" would save the bilingual document and not the target language document.

I was confused by that too. We're used to using a Save As command in Word, for example, to "convert" to other formats.
You can also get your TTX by choosing the batch task, Finalize. It will put the TTX in the appropriate "job" sub-folder in the Projects folder that was created during installation. This job sub-folder will have a name that is an abbreviation of the target language. (This is, of course, assuming that you created a project for the job.)
I created a shortcut to the Projects folder in Windows Explorer to make it easier to access when sending off completed jobs.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not really again - you just need to free your thinking Jun 21, 2010

What does "Save target as" in TagEditor do? Saves the file in the source format.
What is the source format when you translate TTX? Obviously TTX...
Or with other words what comes in comes out

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
SDL Studio 2009: SDLXLIFF does not convert back into TTX Jun 23, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

What does "Save target as" in TagEditor do? Saves the file in the source format.
What is the source format when you translate TTX? Obviously TTX...
Or with other words what comes in comes out

Really? Then, I just wonder on how easy an open standard format like XLIFF can be converted in a propietary format adding his own brand as prefix (sdlxliff).
What will be next? sdlxml may be...?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio 2009: SDLXLIFF does not convert back into TTX

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search