Thread poster: Cecile Frenette
Cecile Frenette
Cecile Frenette
Canada
Local time: 05:13
English to French
May 31, 2010

I Am USING TRADOS SDL STUDIO 2009...

I just followed the TRADOS ADVANCED COURSE AND I FOLLOWED EXACTLY THE PROCEDURE GIVEN BY THE TRAINER TO CREATE A TMX FILE.

I am trying to create a TMX file from two files translated previously.

Everything work properly until I tried to create the TMX file...

The TMX file (CREATED WITH THE FUNCTION ALIGNMENT IN SDL TRADOS 2009) always contains only 2 ko; BUT THE FILES I HAVE ALIGNED CONTAINED
... See more
I Am USING TRADOS SDL STUDIO 2009...

I just followed the TRADOS ADVANCED COURSE AND I FOLLOWED EXACTLY THE PROCEDURE GIVEN BY THE TRAINER TO CREATE A TMX FILE.

I am trying to create a TMX file from two files translated previously.

Everything work properly until I tried to create the TMX file...

The TMX file (CREATED WITH THE FUNCTION ALIGNMENT IN SDL TRADOS 2009) always contains only 2 ko; BUT THE FILES I HAVE ALIGNED CONTAINED AT LEAST 3MO.

And when I try to import it... there is nothing in it.

I follow exactly all the rules given during the course and listed in the document we received.

What can cause this problem?

PLEASE HELP ASAP, as I have to use THIS FUCTION FOR ONE OF MY CLIENT

Cécile frenette... [email protected]

[Modifié le 2010-05-31 13:24 GMT]

[Modifié le 2010-05-31 13:28 GMT]

[Modifié le 2010-05-31 13:40 GMT]
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:13
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Your posting makes really little sense May 31, 2010

You did not specify the tool that you tried to use and the procedure you followed, thus it’s not possible to determine, what you problem can be. Besides, you’ve posted to the General technical issues forum, whilst such a posting should be in a forum dedicated to support of a particular application.

If you want quick answers, try to learn to ask questions.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:13
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Clarification is indeed needed May 31, 2010

First of all, please do not use ALL CAPS, ever. It is generally considered poor form, and there are better ways of emphasising your main points.

Second: I have no idea what you mean by "3ko" and "3mo". It's usually not a good idea to make up your own abbreviations.
Also, let us know if Winalign gave you any error messages, and open the TMX file generated by Winalign to see if it contains your texts.
If you look up earlier threads, you'll see my opinion regarding Winalign
... See more
First of all, please do not use ALL CAPS, ever. It is generally considered poor form, and there are better ways of emphasising your main points.

Second: I have no idea what you mean by "3ko" and "3mo". It's usually not a good idea to make up your own abbreviations.
Also, let us know if Winalign gave you any error messages, and open the TMX file generated by Winalign to see if it contains your texts.
If you look up earlier threads, you'll see my opinion regarding Winalign and my suggestion regarding the matter (use something else), but that's not the point here.

[Edited at 2010-05-31 13:56 GMT]
Collapse

Cecile Frenette
Cecile Frenette
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
TMX FILE NOT CREATED THROUGH ALIGNMENT May 31, 2010

Many thanks for your remarks... I sometimes use caps to avoid using French accent by error; but I assume ... it is not a good excuse to use caps letter.

This being said, Winalign did not give any error message and the TMX file
is empty.

I assume I might be better to ask for Trados support.

I tought there may be somebody knowing Trados in the PROZ community that can help me within a few minutes.

Anyway... as soon as I'll receive an
... See more
Many thanks for your remarks... I sometimes use caps to avoid using French accent by error; but I assume ... it is not a good excuse to use caps letter.

This being said, Winalign did not give any error message and the TMX file
is empty.

I tought there may be somebody knowing Trados in the PROZ community that can help me within a few minutes.

Anyway... as soon as I'll receive an answer from Trados support, I'll share with other TRADOS users.
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Seconded May 31, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:

ALL CAPS USUALLY MEANS SHOUTING! NO REASON TO SHOUT AT US, I GUESS.

Seconded. Would you please add a little more explanation? Perhaps on the process you use? Please note that not everybody has attended SDL's webinars; a great load of us have learned things on the fly; trial and error.

To sum it up, more clarification is needed, Cecile. And perhaps a "cooler" attitude just as well...

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Replies May 31, 2010

Cecile Frenette wrote:

They won't reply unless you have a PSMA.

Well, there are real Trados gurus among the ProZians, but it's hard to give advice with little or no input information given.

[Upraveno: 2010-05-31 17:42 GMT]

Cecile Frenette
Cecile Frenette
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
TMX FILE NOT CREATED THROUGH ALIGNMENT OPTION May 31, 2010

esperantisto

I don't want to waste time discussing about thing such as CAPS or not... I has so much to do...

However for your information...MO = M octet and it is an abbreviation known all over the world in French... as MB means M bytes ans is an English abbreviation known all over the world.

So if you cannot help me... why spend time making remarks that do not help any body.

Many thanks for your remark.

I have asked help f
... See more
esperantisto

I don't want to waste time discussing about thing such as CAPS or not... I has so much to do...

However for your information...MO = M octet and it is an abbreviation known all over the world in French... as MB means M bytes ans is an English abbreviation known all over the world.

So if you cannot help me... why spend time making remarks that do not help any body.

Many thanks for your remark.

I have asked help from TRADOS support and if I ever get an answer I will share it with everobdy whaterver they use CAPS or not.
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Why so aggressive? May 31, 2010

Dear Cecile,
I believe we all want to help you, but you don't give us any opportunity to do so. First of all, the abbreviations you used in your original post were "ko" and MO. You may know what "MO" means in French, but I – and my poor French – have absolutely no idea. "Esperantisto" therefore suggested that you don't use your own abbreviations in your posts.

Also, if you read my previous post, you could see that SDL guys won't reply unless you have a Premium Sof
... See more
Dear Cecile,
I believe we all want to help you, but you don't give us any opportunity to do so. First of all, the abbreviations you used in your original post were "ko" and MO. You may know what "MO" means in French, but I – and my poor French – have absolutely no idea. "Esperantisto" therefore suggested that you don't use your own abbreviations in your posts.

Also, if you read my previous post, you could see that SDL guys won't reply unless you have a Premium Software and Maintenance Agreement.

Cecile, less aggressiveness and more information. That's what we need to help you.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
KO May 31, 2010

Well then you were saying that your source files were 3 MB in size (not "contained") and the TMX was just 2 KB. (BTW, KO/MO may be widely used in French but not in English. Also, KB and MB are always in caps if they mean kilo/megabyte, Kb means kilobit.)

Anyway, what's in the TMX? The header and the footer and no segments in between? Sounds about right for 2 KB. I'd hav
... See more
Well then you were saying that your source files were 3 MB in size (not "contained") and the TMX was just 2 KB. (BTW, KO/MO may be widely used in French but not in English. Also, KB and MB are always in caps if they mean kilo/megabyte, Kb means kilobit.)

Anyway, what's in the TMX? The header and the footer and no segments in between? Sounds about right for 2 KB. I'd have to guess you went off course from the Winalign instructions in some obscure way or your source files were not right - although in that case you'd notice when Winalign offers you no segments to pair up. Hard to guess what went wrong without seeing what you did exactly and what the input and output files are. A Winalign malfunction is not out of the question, either. All I can say is keep trying or get a better aligner - if the TMX is empty then we know for sure that the problem is not with importing into a TM but with the alignment/TMX generation process so look at that.

[Edited at 2010-05-31 15:30 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
English please Jun 6, 2010

Dear Cecile,
the language of this forum is English. Would you please re-post your meesage in English, providing as many details as possible? You will have a greater chance of receiving a qualified reply to your query.

Cecile Frenette
Cecile Frenette
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
TMX File not created through WinAlign: here is the answer to the problem Jun 6, 2010

I did not notice that this forum was in English as I received answers when I wrote in French. Further,

Anyway it is not a problem. I can write in English or French or Spanis or German.

I am not asking for help this morning bu giving you the answer to the question I asked many days ago, when I had a serious problem and when I received a lot of complaints but no answer.

Here is the solution to the problem I submitted to the Trados' gurus.
In o
... See more
I did not notice that this forum was in English as I received answers when I wrote in French. Further,

Anyway it is not a problem. I can write in English or French or Spanis or German.

I am not asking for help this morning bu giving you the answer to the question I asked many days ago, when I had a serious problem and when I received a lot of complaints but no answer.

Here is the solution to the problem I submitted to the Trados' gurus.
In order to create a Translation Memory with documents translated without using TRADOS, we must use WinAlign as most of you know; there is a description of the steps to follow given by TRADOS... but 2 o3 steps are missing:

First they say that
1) You must me in HOME, and click on the WinAlign
2) fill the wizard and proceed to the alignment
Here are the important steps missing otherwise your TMX file is not created:

a) When you are done with the alignment, you must "commit all units" (this is not in the steps givent by TRADOS to use Winalign)
5)Then you must "Mark all unit as finished" (this is not either in the instruction given by Trados in how using WinAlign).

If you don't execute these two previous steps, the TMX file is not created.

6)And in addition, when you export the couple of files instead of the project, you get errors, and you cannot created a TM with the TMX file. In order to create the TM properly with the created TMX file you have to export the project. And then import the project TMX into your TM.

So, as you see dear fellows, even if no GURU could help me at that time... I toughtfully give the answer to this forum so that people can use Winalgin without problem.

Many thanks for your kind answer Stanislav Pokorny; thank God I am not limited to my mother tongue. Good luck!
Collapse

Yuri Geifman
Yuri Geifman  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Russian
+ ...
Helpful info Apr 28, 2011

Cecile Frenette wrote:

So, as you see dear fellows, even if no GURU could help me at that time... I toughtfully give the answer to this forum so that people can use Winalgin without problem.

Thanks for posting the info - I was using Win Align in Trados 2007 and ran into the same problem, and those two simple steps helped.

I must say I was suprised at the snappy and hasty comments you had to deal with after posting the question, and the poise and patience with which you handled them, I think we can all learn a lesson from that.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.tmx file not created through alignment

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »