Studio 2009 error "Pre-Scanning Error: There is no Unicode byte order mark.Cannot switch to Unicode
Thread poster: Heino Dama

Heino Dama  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 03:59
German to Romanian
+ ...
May 31, 2010

Hello,

I've tried to import some xml files into Studio 2009 and I've received the following message:
"Pre-Scanning Error: There is no Unicode byte order mark. Cannot switch to Unicode."

I've tried to create a filetype for this xml files but it was unsuccessful. When I import the xml file there is another error "the selected file is not a valid import format".

What should I do or what should I ask my customer for?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Kind regards,

Heino

Direct link Reply with quote

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:59
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Well, try re-saving your files with BOM Jun 1, 2010

As the error message says, your files either are not in Unicode or, yes, have no byte-order mark. Load your files to any text editor that supports multiple encodings including Unicode (such as jEdit) and re-save them as Unicode UTF-16LE.

Heino Dama  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 03:59
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It still doesn't work Jun 1, 2010

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.
I've changed the encoding to UTF-16LE but it still doesn't work.
There are again errors.
The initial encoding is xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"

Regards,

Heino

[Edited at 2010-06-01 07:16 GMT]

FarkasAndras
Local time: 02:59
English to Hungarian
+ ...
"Errors" Jun 1, 2010

Heino Dama wrote:

There are again errors.

That's not very helpful, now, is it?
What errors are there?
If the error message is related to the encoding, you could try encoding it in UTF-8 (any editor you're likely to use, such as Notepad, will add a BOM without you explicitly telling it to) and try again. You can just change the encoding tag in the XML to UTF-8 and let your client know you had to fiddle with the encoding.
Otherwise, well, it depends on what error message you get.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 error "Pre-Scanning Error: There is no Unicode byte order mark.Cannot switch to Unicode

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search