Trados 7 number recognition and substitution problem
Thread poster: FJ_MGS
FJ_MGS
Local time: 09:32
May 31, 2010

Trados 7 does not seem to recognise any numbers with zeros in front and therefore does not copy the source but sees them as a mismatched word.

I am translating a text with each line numbered from 00001 to 12300 there are many lines where the only difference is the line number in the end, but since it does not recognise 00001 - 09999 as numbers it puts a fuzzy translation using the initial and not the current line number example:

line - 52 Text text text 00011
exact match - 52 text text text 00123

this would be autotranslated as - 52 text text text 00011 and i would have to manually change the line number to 00123.

Is there any way to make trados recognise these as numbers, since there are a few thousand lines with exact matches in my text and it would be extremely tedious to manually change all those numbers.

Direct link Reply with quote

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:32
English to Hungarian
Find/Replace Jun 1, 2010

I would temporarily substitute zeros with other characters, like this (with Find/Replace function in Trados or Word):

Example: 00006 (four zeros)
Find: * 0000*, Replace with: * đ *, then you will get * đ 6*
Example: 00023 (three zeros)
Find: * 000*, Replace with: * Ł *, then you will get * Ł 23*

Follow this with two and one (zero/s/).

When you are ready with the translation, restore the original numbers, like this:
Example: * đ 6*
Find: * đ *, Replace with: * 0000*, then you will get * 00006*
… and so on.

Where you can see an empty place between the asterisks, enter (one) space. Asterisks are not part of the Find and Replace text.

If you try this in Tageditor, first you should uncheck Document protection at Tools/Options/Protection.

Hope this helps.

[Módosítva: 2010-06-01 06:01 GMT]

[Módosítva: 2010-06-01 06:07 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 7 number recognition and substitution problem

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search