spamalot
Germany
Local time: 00:18
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 2, 2010

Hello,

I am not a pro in SDL Sudio 2009 version, so my terminology may be a little off, I have the following problem that I cannot find described in the Trados help files other than I fear they try to tell people that it doesn't have the feature:

I have an assignment where I got a normal Power Point source file. The client would like, if possible, to have TM created. I translated in the 2009 version and TM was created accordingly without any problems at all (huge file). It turns out they cannot process my file format. What I normally do when I receive a 2007 version Trados file is revert back to it, also without any problems. Now, this is without a 2007 Trados source! I can't figure it out. Does anyone know how I can convert from 2009 to 2007? I appreciate any advice, thanks very much (this is quite urgent on top of everything)

Best wishes and many thanks for understanding,

spamalot

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
forum search Jun 2, 2010

If you search the forum you will find loads of similar posts
Try this one
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/159629-how_to_make_a_ttx_file_out_of_a_ppt_file_that_was_translated_in_studio_2009.html

HTH

spamalot
Germany
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but Jun 2, 2010

Hi, thank you very much for referring to your thread -- it does work somehow, but how is the question. I have searched the forum and can only (other than your thread) find how to convert from other programs and from older Trados to newer Trados but I have essntially the same problem you had.
What is more is that I cannot figure out how to populate the now created ttx file with the target translation file in ppt. Two problems: the target is the new ppt version, and I use vista, which doesn't let me open the help files for Trados old version. So there is no way I can figure out how to "populate" the ttx file (i am happy I can understand Trados new at this point and the requirements for software knowledge are a little bit up there). Hope you can all understand my stress and feel my pain and know there will be a way and that we can find it.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer for this matter.

spamalot

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
how to populate your ttx Jun 2, 2010

First, always find out from the client how he wants his work back (2007 format, tm, etc.) and if necessary, create a ttx in Workbench and then open that in Studio.

Second, in theory all is not lost if you haven't done this.

Export your STudio TM in tmx format (from the Translation Memory window).
Import your TMX into an empty Workbench TM using workbench.
Open your source (original) ppt in Tag Editor using your newly-populated TM.
Translate the file (it should go automatically, but segmenting rules do change so you may get problems here).
Save your ttx and your target ppt.

spamalot
Germany
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now I can see what is cause of the problem! Jun 2, 2010

Hi Emma,

Thanks for your excellent instructions -- now I can see what the problem is:
Workbench (for my version only lets me open tmw not tmx -- probably because I have the freelancer version of Trados new, when they might have scaled down the old Trados version that comes with it.)

In the meantime, my client was able to open the tmx and is happy with it. Only I cannot open it in my Workbench version, because it needs tmx. I tried going into options etc. but cannot open it.

Thanks anyways, I'll be tracking this and try to get an answer and solve this problem, if you have the answer already, I'd much appreciace if you could share it.

Best wishes,

spamalot

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
how to open tmx in workbench Jun 2, 2010

Import your TMX into an empty Workbench TM using workbench.

To open your TMX you have to create a new TM from workbench (just a couple of easy steps - the most important thing is to make sure your language pairs are identical to your Studio TM language pairs). Then, with your new empty TM in workbench (yes, this is tmw), import your tmx.

That's all there is to it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting to ttx from SDL

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search