SDLX 2006 - cannot open any TM
Thread poster: Frédéric Aubert

Frédéric Aubert  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:05
English to French
Jun 3, 2010

Hi all,

I'm having a big problem with SDLX 2006 on Win XP. I can't open any TM anymore, the program says
"The TM could not be opened. Ensure that it is a valid SDLX TM and it is not currently in use by another application or user"

The thing is, yesterday everything was working fine. BUT yesterday night I decided to clean up my computer, which had been running slow for a while. Ccleaner & Spybot S&D were used. And today, this problem happens. I uninstalled/reinstalled sdl trados completely, loaded an old registry backup, to no avail. I don't have any Windows restore point available, I guessed they were "cleaned" off.

I have a feeling my only option here is a complete Windows reinstall.

Would anyone have an alternative solution? I'm not quite ready to format yet...

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Translation-Pro  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Read/write access? Jun 3, 2010

Hello,

I once had a similar problem with one TM. If I remember it correctly, the reason was that I didn't have read/write access to this file. (You can check that under "properties".)

If this doesn't help, I would create a new TM. If you can open your new TM, then maybe the old TM files are the problem, and in this case re-installing Windows won't help.

You could also send one of your TMs to a colleague to find out if the colleague can open the file.

Best,

Christa

Frédéric Aubert  Identity Verified
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
workaround Jun 3, 2010

Hey Christa, I was just posting the solution I found!
It wasn't a problem of read-only/write access, I tried opening many TMs that were scattered all over my HDD, copying them, moving them, didn't work.
The only thing that did the trick was repairing windows xp from the original CD. Took a bit of time, but it's all working well now!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX 2006 - cannot open any TM

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search