Basic text formatting in SDL Studio
Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:43
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 4, 2010

I'm translating an Excel file in Studio. Some words are underlined. How do I underline words in the source text?

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:43
French to Polish
+ ...
No way... Jun 4, 2010

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

I'm translating an Excel file in Studio. Some words are underlined. How do I underline words in the source text?

Unkike MQ, DVX, Swordfish etc., Trados Studio was intended for a perfect world and you can't change the source text.
Even if you spot a flagrant typo.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-06-04 07:59 GMT]

Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And in the target text? Jun 4, 2010

It's getting late.. I meant the target text, although I've wondered about the typos in the source text as well.

Studio can't know which word in the target text needs underlining, or to be put in italics or in bold for that matter, so how do I do that?

French to Polish
+ ...
Quickinsert Jun 4, 2010

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

It's getting late.. I meant the target text, although I've wondered about the typos in the source text as well.

Studio can't know which word in the target text needs underlining, or to be put in italics or in bold for that matter, so how do I do that?

E.g. you have the formatting (QuickInsert) toolbar.
Just select your text and click on the underline icon U.

If the toolbar is not displayed, see the View menu.

Cheers
GG

Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quick Insert is not what you think it is Jun 4, 2010

Thanks Grzegorz

As simple as that, eh? I'm embarrassed.

The Quick Insert bar didn't show and I couldn't imagine THAT to be what I was looking for.

"Quick Insert". Would make a good name for a brand of suppositories, no?

Thanks again.

Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Inserting source text tags into target text Jun 4, 2010

While we're at it: is there a simple way to insert specific source text tags into the target segment? The way it's done in TagEditor? Now, when there is a tag, I click on the spot in the target text where I want the tag to go, then I click on the tag in the source text whilst keeping the Ctrl key down. It's a bothersome process (maybe I'm just not used to it yet), but I was hoping there'd be some shortcut that would enter the tag in one action.

French to Polish
+ ...
Inserting tags using the keyboard only... Jun 5, 2010

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

While we're at it: is there a simple way to insert specific source text tags into the target segment? The way it's done in TagEditor? Now, when there is a tag, I click on the spot in the target text where I want the tag to go, then I click on the tag in the source text whilst keeping the Ctrl key down. It's a bothersome process (maybe I'm just not used to it yet), but I was hoping there'd be some shortcut that would enter the tag in one action.

You should use Ctrl+Alt+arrows.
When you release Ctrl+Alt, the tag is inserted.
It's faster, only the keyboard is used.

The funny thing in Studio is the paired tags (e.g. beginning and end for bold) are inserted simultaneously, so you can select a portion of your target text, then select the correct source tag pair using the shortcut above, the tags are inserted on both sides of the selection.

Cheers
GG

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Default shortcut for QuickInsert: Ctrl+OEM Comma Jun 5, 2010

And then as easy as in TagEditor, but with the restriction Grzegorz made - formatting tags are paired and have to be inserted with the text part sewlected to be formatted acordingly.

Ie if you want to underline the word "underline", then first select it and then press CTRL+, and chose the underline formatting from QuickInsert menu, which appear below your selected text.
Treating formatting tags as pairs has big advantages for newbies, however makes the life of experienced ones not necessarily easier.
The only problem with QuickInsert is, that it is mixing placeables of all kinds together. On ideas.sdltrados.com I've already created a corresponding proposal to get tags separated from other placeables in text and use a different shortcut for them - so if you would kindly support it...
I can't provide a link at the moment, as the system is in maintenance modus and I have just a mobile Internet from holiday.

Best
Jerzy

Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 7, 2010

Thanks, guys. Works like a charm.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Basic text formatting in SDL Studio

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search