Thread poster: RuTranslation

RuTranslation  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:57
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 4, 2010

Hi, if a customer creates a ttx file from inx file and gives it to a translator to translate, who should export the translated file into original format (inx) - the customer or the translator?

Direct link Reply with quote

avsie  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:57
English to French
+ ...
The client Jun 4, 2010

The client, since the translator has no means to create a target INX file without having the source INX file.

Either the client sends the source INX file along with the TTX file, or he creates the target INX himself when the translator delivers the translated TTX file.

RuTranslation  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:57
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Who should save to the original format? Jun 4, 2010

Thank you Marie-Claude. I thought, normally, the person, who created TTX should save it back to INX.
The translator has both TTX and original INX, but when trying to save as INX faults appear and he can not create INX. Is it a customer's or translator's fault? I.e. who must spend time/money to fix the export problems with the translated file?

[Редактировалось 2010-06-04 10:40 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
INX troubles Jun 4, 2010

Hi Andrey,
INX files are quite troublesome in TagEditor (see the numerous posts in this forum). Generally, it is advised that the TRANSLATOR receives the INX, opens it in TagEditor and provides the client both with the bilingual TTX and the final INX export.

If the CLIENT prepares the TTX and sends it to the translator, it may well be the case that the translator uses a different TagEditor build or even a different INX-filter within the same TagEditor build which may make the final INX export impossible.

So, if the CLIENT prepared the TTX and now cannot save it as target, it's most probably his fault.

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Same Jun 4, 2010

I agree with Stanislav. INX files are extremely tricky and everybody throughout the chain must have the same version of TagEditor (version and build) and INX filter. And even then, there is no 100% guarantee back conversion will work.

We deal with INX problems daily And I am starting to think INX files are pure evil...

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Not that bad Jun 4, 2010

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

I agree with Stanislav. INX files are extremely tricky and everybody throughout the chain must have the same version of TagEditor (version and build) and INX filter. And even then, there is no 100% guarantee back conversion will work.

We deal with INX problems daily And I am starting to think INX files are pure evil...

Hi Marie-Claude,
in fact, Studio handles both INX and IDML files very well. At least no issues for me so far...

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Oh I know... Jun 4, 2010

But where I work in-house we are still stuck witth 2007 build 863, because we are also using TeamWorks. And the version we have now is not compatible with Studio files.

Our experience has also shown that INX-based TTX files translated in Studio, then back converted to TTX and INX also have problems.

Personally I work with Studio whenever I can But in a corporate environment, we don't always get the choice of what tool we are using. And considering it took us about 2 years to get our current versions (Trados and TeamWorks) approved and implemented, we won't be upgrading any time soon...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor: import/export problem

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search