Incorrect match
Thread poster: Isabel Conde

Isabel Conde  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 4, 2010

The Workbench gives me an incorrect match. There is no even a 50% match, but it is saying it has a 100%

Thank you,

Argee

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:01
French to Polish
+ ...
Absurd Trados matches for some sentences... Jun 4, 2010

argee01 wrote:

The Workbench gives me an incorrect match. There is no even a 50% match, but it is saying it has a 100%

Can you provide us an example?

BTW.
Trados may propose really absurd matches for short sentences with tags and/or numerals and/or some characters like brackets.
E.g., today I had a 77% "match" for F1LEVEL[V], the Workbench suggestion was [V] (target equal to source).
A human would say 30%.
The wordcounts for jobs with a lot of segments like this may be completely unreliable, so beware.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-06-04 21:07 GMT]

Isabel Conde  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, GG Jun 5, 2010

I had never seen such a behavior in the memory.

The problem was that I had isolated my memory in one folder and it resulted in a big mess. Hard to explain. It took me the whole day to figure out what was going on.

Thank you for your input.

Best regards,

Argee

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:01
English to German
+ ...
Have you created this memory? Jun 5, 2010

I work with Idiom, and it happens. Why? Because I am not idiot enough to translate word for word, and at times I reverse the order of an entire paragraph because it sounds better, I split sentences, and what not. Six months later I work on a similar project, I load the according TM, and I go: "What the heck??"

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:01
French to Polish
+ ...
Idiom case... please, an example... Jun 5, 2010

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I work with Idiom, and it happens. Why? Because I am not idiot enough to translate word for word,

A good point

and at times I reverse the order of an entire paragraph because it sounds better, I split sentences, and what not. Six months later I work on a similar project, I load the according TM, and I go: "What the heck??"

Yes, it may happen.
And it works in both directions.
As I work mainly in DVX (or, recently, in memoQ, depending of the job), I import almost all my Trados jobs in DVX/MQ and I heavily split/join my segments.
Sometimes I have 20-40 euro daily for nothing (i.e. for joining/splitting sentences).

Nonetheless, we need some example before we say proudly Trados is a crap...

PS.
The Idiom editor is a 1 to 0.9 DVX clone.
Using some tricks, you may leverage your most crazy segments using your own data bases.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-06-05 16:28 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Incorrect match

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search