Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is there a way to exclude repetitive text from translation within the individual TU?
Thread poster: Mirja Maletzki

Mirja Maletzki  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:35
Korean to German
+ ...
Jun 4, 2010

Hello!

I am fairly new to Trados, so I hope I can get some help here.

I am doing a game translation these days which looks like this in Word 2007. As for Trados I am working with the SDL Trados Studio 2009.

Below you can see what the source text looks like. I have got about 13000 "rows" like this to translate. Now as you might imagine I only want to translate the second part of each row.

So is there a possibility to get Trados to ignore the first part?

|EXE_AbuseProblemWnd::OnProcess_1|LSBI UA Alert . . . %1|
|EXE_AbuseProblemWnd::OnProcess_2|You did not answer the question.|
|EXE_AbuseProblemWnd::OnRender_1|Under Investigation for an “Unauthorized|
|EXE_AbuseProblemWnd::OnRender_2|AFK”. Answer to verify you are present.|
|EXE_AbuseProblemWnd::OnRender_3|Incorrect ( %1 + %2 = %3, Entered : %4 )|
|EXE_AbuseProblemWnd::OnRender_4|Please try again.|
|EXE_AbuseProblemWnd::OnRender_5|One more incorrect answer will take you to the Plaza.|
|EXE_AbuseProblemWnd::OnRender_6|Incorrect ( %1 + %2 = %3, Entered : %4 )|
|EXE_AbuseProblemWnd::OnRender_7|Please try again.|
|EXE_AbuseProblemWnd::OnRender_8|%1 ÷ %2 =|
|EXE_AbuseProblemWnd::OnRender_9|%1 + %2 =|
|EXE_AbuseProblemWnd::OnRender_10|%1 - %2 =|
|EXE_AbuseProblemWnd::OnRender_11|%1 x %2 =|
|EXE_AbuseProblemWnd::SetAbuseQuiz_1|Entered %1password failed : %2 + %3 = %4, Enter : %5|

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:35
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, this can be done with Studio Jun 5, 2010

You would need to add these recurring expressions in the first part to your variables list in your language resource template. Please check your documentation for information on how to do this.

Germany
Korean to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your fast answer Jun 7, 2010

Would that mean that I have to enter each of the 13.000 segments separately?

Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I think there is something simpler you could do here Jun 7, 2010

Under the menu tab "Translation":

"Copy All Source to Target".

That way you have everything copied over, and you only need to change whatever is necessary.

Germany
Korean to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was considering that earlier... Jun 7, 2010

... but I figured that Trados wouldn't give me a fuzzy search then? Because it would include the first part of the line and not find "enough" for a fuzzy search...

Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I see what the problem is Jun 7, 2010

What I would do, before starting the project, is:

Take all the most common expressions, e.g. "Incorrect" and "Please try again." and make a termbase of them. Then you could go through and quickly insert them. I guess it would be practical if, in 13000 TUs, there is quite a limited number of these expressions and they recur frequently.

You would previously have copied all source to target, and then you would go through, inserting these terms from the term recognition box. If (once you have made and connected the termbase) you just start typing them, however (the first two letters), then you could put them in with Autosuggest. This is marginally quicker than going up to the term recognition box to insert them.

Germany
Korean to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 7, 2010

Thank you for your help! I had hoped there would be an easier way about it, but I guess it is the fault of the company giving me files like this in Word.

I will try my luck with the termbase.

Thank you

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Segmentation rules... tw4winExternal... Jun 7, 2010

Mirja Maletzki wrote:

... but I figured that Trados wouldn't give me a fuzzy search then? Because it would include the first part of the line and not find "enough" for a fuzzy search...

You have two easy solutions but you need to reimport the file.

Change the sgmentation rules.
If you use double colon and pipe as separators, you'll have a lot of 100% matches for IDs and sound text to translate...

You may also use regular expressions and filter out the text ' til the second pipe.
Mark it as tw4winExternal in Word.

Cheers
GG

Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
That is the cruel thing about jobs which, at first sight, look repetitive Jun 7, 2010

I have had similar-looking jobs in the past. They only look repetitive at first sight, but in fact the TUs vary each time in such a way that there is no quick or easy way of handling them. The main thing is not to offer or accept any kind of discounts for such material.

French to Polish
+ ...
Money for nothing Jun 7, 2010

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

I have had similar-looking jobs in the past. They only look repetitive at first sight, but in fact the TUs vary each time in such a way that there is no quick or easy way of handling them. The main thing is not to offer or accept any kind of discounts for such material.

Well.
I love jobs like this.
In most cases a typical Trados project manager is unable to find a correct approach to filter out the clutter.
A lot of money for nothing.

If they insist on the absurd Trados default segmentation, I presegment the text and use DVX or memQ as metaeditor.
It works as a charm.

Cheers
GG

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
At least two ways as GG says Jun 7, 2010

Hi Mirja,

As GG says there are at least two ways to do this. My preferred routes would be to use excel or the regex filter. A quick example of how to do this is as follows.

Using Excel
I copied your text into a text editor and saved it as a *.txt file. Then I opened this in Excel using the pipe symbol as the delimiter. Then I save the file as an excel file and hide the first column of text. Now when I open it in Studio I only see the second column like this;

Using the regex filter
I copied your text into a text editor and saved it as a *.mirja file. Now I create a new sdlfiletype using the Regular Expression Delimited Text option like this;

Then I use the following patterns for the opening closing and inline tags;

In Studio my setting pages look like this now;

Finally, when I open the document for tranlsation it looks like this and has some added benefit of protecting some of the tags where I made them inline;

The excel solution is easier, and fast, but you then have to mess around afterwards to get your pipe symbols back into the file when you save it. The only way I know to do this is to change your regional settings in Windows to use a pipe instead of a comma as a seperator and then save the file in excel as a csv. I also had to add pipes to the first column and the last one in excel to achieve this correctly like this;

Maybe someone cleverer with excel can share a better solution for that one.

The regex solution seems more complex, but actually it saves you a lot of work as it handles the pipes and protects placeables.

You could also mess around with the segmentation rules to get this even better, but I think it might be enough like this for a one off and just work around the additional segments with only full stops of brackets in them. Astrids idea of copying all source to target at this stage would be useful.

I hope this helps a little.

Regards

Paul

Germany
Korean to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WOW! Jun 7, 2010

WOW - for that answer!!!

Thank you so much!

Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Thank you from me, too, Grzegorz and Paul Jun 7, 2010

I guess I have also learnt something very useful here concerning handling future projects of this kind. They always do come up again, from time to time, anyway.

In addition, I would still make the termbase for the repeat phrases - however, that may just be because I am addicted to termbases.

Astrid

Germany
Korean to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now I feel rude Jun 7, 2010

I didn't mean to exclude anyone. I am very grateful for all the help I received on this forum.

It must have been the pictures in the last post that momentarily overwhelmed me.

Now I hope my first steps into the world of Trados will become more productive with each little problem I solve

French to Polish
+ ...
Replacing pipes... Jun 7, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

The excel solution is easier, and fast, but you then have to mess around afterwards to get your pipe symbols back into the file when you save it. The only way I know to do this is to change your regional settings in Windows

I don't think it's a good solution.
Some programs may behave erratically.

to use a pipe instead of a comma as a seperator and then save the file in excel as a csv. I also had to add pipes to the first column and the last one in excel to achieve this correctly like this;

Maybe someone cleverer with excel can share a better solution for that one.

Probably replacing pipes by tabs before you open the file in Excel (if I have a choice, I always use tabs as separators).
I doubt tabs are used in Mirja's file.
If they're not used (search first for ^t in the Word S&R window), you have an immediate workaround.
If yes, you may first replace tabs by some stupid but unique sequence of characters and continue withe the pipes to tabs conversion.
After the translation, you restore the original characters.
When saving text file from Excel, use rather Text Unicode than CSV.

BTW.
If the file is really regular (fixed number of fields in the line), you can convert the text to table directly in Word using pipe as custom column separator and mark the unnecessary columns as tw4winExternal.
Then convert it back to text after the translation.
Usually the table conversion is the first thing I check and it works in a lot of cases.

You have a plenty of possibilities.

The regex solution seems more complex, but actually it saves you a lot of work as it handles the pipes and protects placeables.

Generally, when the job contains only one file, I use rather a Paul's Excel like solution.
When I have more files, the regex way is frankly better.

Cheers
GG

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to exclude repetitive text from translation within the individual TU?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search