If SDL Studio crashes, is my work lost?
Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:22
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 5, 2010

I was just on the verge of developing some sympathies for Studio when after a day of work because of some silly Windows update the system reboots.
After restarting Studio I can find my project, but a days work appears to be gone. All target segments of the file I was working on are empty. The TM apparently did not store the translations in the process.
At least when Trados 2007 crashed I could be relatively sure my work was automatically saved in the TM. What did I do wrong this time?

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 16:22
English to Czech
+ ...
Can't be true Jun 5, 2010

Hi Marinus,
all your translations are stored in the SDLXLIFF and in the TM (whether a Project TM or a Main TM) immediately once you confirm them. Therefore, if you didn't delete those your files from your HDD, your work can't be gone, unless you failed to confirm all segments. That would be the only logical explanation.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Saving data... Jun 5, 2010

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

I was just on the verge of developing some sympathies for Studio when after a day of work because of some silly Windows update the system reboots.
After restarting Studio I can find my project, but a days work appears to be gone. All target segments of the file I was working on are empty.

Unlike DVX or memoQ which are transactional systems where every operation is stored automatically and the document doesn't need to be saved, the SDLXLIFF is a normal document which you must save manualy.
You have no autosave which seems to be an error in the design.

The TM apparently did not store the translations in the process.

You use Ctrl+Enter to confirm the segment?

At least when Trados 2007 crashed I could be relatively sure my work was automatically saved in the TM. What did I do wrong this time?

Well.
I hate the automatic Windows updates.
I allow rhe download but I always launch 'em manually on my crucial machines.
Change your settings.

Cheers
GG

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Studio doesn't save SDLXLIFF files automatically Jun 5, 2010

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

all your translations are stored in the SDLXLIFF and in the TM (whether a Project TM or a Main TM) immediately once you confirm them.

No.
The confirmed segment is not written immediately in the SDLXLIFF, the changes are stored in the RAM and are committed when the file is saved.
Studio doesn't save SDLXLIFF files automatically.
So, an unplanned reboot discards all the changes made in the file.

Therefore, if you didn't delete those your files from your HDD, your work can't be gone, unless you failed to confirm all segments. That would be the only logical explanation.

It seems to be the case.
The confrmed segments should be at least in the TM.

BTW.
Check project TMs.
Maybe some TM association was lost too.

Cheers
GG

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Saving indeed Jun 5, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
No.
The confirmed segment is not written immediately in the SDLXLIFF, the changes are stored in the RAM and are committed when the file is saved.
Studio doesn't save SDLXLIFF files automatically.

You're right, GG, of course. I save the document "automatically" every three or four segments.

The confrmed segments should be at least in the TM.

That's what I meant in my previous post.

[Upraveno: 2010-06-05 10:09 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

If SDL Studio crashes, is my work lost?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search