Your experience with splitting and merging .ttx files?
Thread poster: Alain Dellepiane

Alain Dellepiane  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:20
English to Italian
Jun 6, 2010

Hi all,

Our latest project came as a huge .ttx file and we are planning how to tackle it as a team.

Our first idea was to simply translate a part each, then join all the TM and let Trados retranslate the lot. However, this adds a lot of extra work with no real benefit, as it forces to recheck everything for wrong-in-context strings and other Trados artifafcts. A real pity, as the single parts are already fine and consistent!

Then we checked further and .ttx seem structurally very simple xml files, with header, footer and translation units. Splitting and merging them seems achievable by simply of moving those translation units across with a plain-text editor like notepad.

Our first tests in this direction were very encouraging (the original file and the merged one appear bit by bit identical) and this method seems to used (http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/85567-is_it_possible_to_segment_a_ttx_file.html, http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/message/49586)

Anyone had experience with this kind of manual split-merge? Did it work fine? Please let us know!

PS Before you ask: the client will only accept his huge .ttx as a delivery file. Any other option (like a split source) is not viable for him.

[Edited at 2010-06-06 05:47 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:20
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Sure it can be done Jun 6, 2010

If you know what you're doing.

Any idea if the file is pretranslated or not?

Anyway, you can open the file for example in UltraEdit, which reportedly is good for editing large files.

Open a new empty file in UltraEdit and change its encoding to Unicode (UTF-16).

Copy just the header and the starting tag of the body of the file and the closing tag(s) of the ttx file to the empty file to create a "shell" for the split parts of the file. Save it for reuse.

Now copy parts of the big TTX file to the "shell". Note the starting and ending line numbers of each part. Each time save the "shell" under a new name.

I've never tried this method but I'm sure it will work. You need to remember however that you need to copy parts of the TTX file so that you create a well formed XML file each time. (TTX is XML inside).

I'm sure an XSLT transformation could also be developed to accomplish the task. I might develop such a solution in the future.

If you're not sure how to do the splitting, I can take care of it for a small fee. Please contact me through my profile.

Regards

Piotr

Japan
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, we did like that! Jun 6, 2010

Hi Piotr,

Thank you for the reply. The file is not pretranslated and we pretty much followed your same procedure to split the file (although without the Unicode/UTF-16 conversion).

After joining back the parts, the file is bit by bit identical to the original, so the procedure seems feasible.

Let's see is anyone tried it with success on the translation battlefild!

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Unicode is a must Jun 6, 2010

Alain Dellepiane wrote:

Hi Piotr,

Thank you for the reply. The file is not pretranslated and we pretty much followed your same procedure to split the file (although without the Unicode/UTF-16 conversion).

TTX files are encoded in Unicode (UTF-16) so they must be saved with this encoding to be handled correctly by TagEditor. I guess that UTF-8 might also work, but I'm not encouraging you to experiment with TagEditor on a "live" job.

Regards,

Piotr

James Gao
China
Local time: 07:20
English to Chinese
+ ...
TTX Splitter Jun 23, 2010

I have encountered the same problem. The tool TTX Splitter did help me. You can download the tool from http://www.experttools.at/index_new.php?mmid=4&lmid=50.

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Your experience with splitting and merging .ttx files? Jun 24, 2010

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

If you know what you're doing.

Any idea if the file is pretranslated or not?

Anyway, you can open the file for example in UltraEdit, which reportedly is good for editing large files.

If you're not sure how to do the splitting, I can take care of it for a small fee. Please contact me through my profile.

Regards

Piotr

@Piotr: I am not interested myself, but looking at the TTX splitter tool pages James Gao mentioned before and his unbelievable expensive pricing shame, I believe you should go for it.

PD: Sorry, I confused some wovels as I would say sheme, not shame.
Maybe it was a freudian lapsus linguae...

Japan
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
I agree with Pablo Jun 24, 2010

Thank you James,

I noticed the tool you mentioned, but as Pablo rightly says it seems quite expensive.
I didn't have the chance to test it yet, but the techical process for splitting and merging ttx files is really basic (you can do it with notepad after all!)
If the need should rise for a specific tool, I would probably just hire a programmer at freelancer.com: the program would be tailored to my needs, I would have a person directly responsible for the results and all for a fraction of the cost.

julienwp
France
English to French
SDL Trados Glue Jun 24, 2010

Alain Dellepiane wrote:

Hi all,

Our latest project came as a huge .ttx file and we are planning how to tackle it as a team.

Our first idea was to simply translate a part each, then join all the TM and let Trados retranslate the lot. However, this adds a lot of extra work with no real benefit, as it forces to recheck everything for wrong-in-context strings and other Trados artifafcts. A real pity, as the single parts are already fine and consistent!

Then we checked further and .ttx seem structurally very simple xml files, with header, footer and translation units. Splitting and merging them seems achievable by simply of moving those translation units across with a plain-text editor like notepad.

Our first tests in this direction were very encouraging (the original file and the merged one appear bit by bit identical) and this method seems to used (http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/85567-is_it_possible_to_segment_a_ttx_file.html, http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/message/49586)

Anyone had experience with this kind of manual split-merge? Did it work fine? Please let us know!

PS Before you ask: the client will only accept his huge .ttx as a delivery file. Any other option (like a split source) is not viable for him.

[Edited at 2010-06-06 05:47 GMT]

Hi Alain,

SDL Trados Glue (shipped with Trados 2007) is probably the answer you're looking for. If you have Studio, things are easier: merge all your TTX files during project creation

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Ezequiel Martinez Kolodens
Local time: 20:20
French to Spanish
+ ...
How to merge .ttx files Jan 27, 2013

Hello,

could anyone explain to me how to merge 2 .ttx files into 1 ?

Thank you for this help as the client is asking me just 1 file and I really don´t know how to do it ...

EMK

Japan
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Piotr was right Jan 28, 2013

Piotr Bienkowsk's technique worked pretty well. Try to follow his instructions carefully (or find someone to do it for you) and you will get what you need. Cheers, Alain

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your experience with splitting and merging .ttx files?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search