Can the Microsoft Office / Word spellchecker / dictionary be used in SDL Studio?
Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:00
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 7, 2010

The regular Dutch spellchecker in SDL Studio is plain rubbish. In TagEditor I used the Microsoft Word 2.0 spellchecker and over the years had it tweaked, added many words, corrected a few, etc.

These additions are now part of a CUSTOM dictionary that I can find on my laptop, but Studio refuses to integrate it. The same applies to the dictionary that comes with Firefox/Thunderbird.

Perhaps there is a way to export my custom dictionaries and import them into the dictionaries Studio uses?

Any ideas?

Direct link Reply with quote

Bernhard Hoell
Local time: 04:00
SDL Knowledgebase has the answer... Jun 8, 2010

Hello Marinus,

have a look at http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2691&p=1 , this article explains how to add custom dictionaries.
I hope this helps,

Regards,
Bernhard

Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only Open Office dictionaries supported in SDL Studio? Jun 8, 2010

Thanks Bernard, but I already knew that.

So apparently SDL Studio now ONLY supports Open Office dictionaries, made by non-professional volunteers in their spare time in a format SDL until recently wanted nothing to do with ? You've got to be kidding me!

In other words we have to start looking in the Open Source scene for an answer to the question: How do I transfer my Microsoft CUSTOM Dictionary into an Open Office custom dictionary? Should there be an answer to that question, I'll make sure to post it here.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Hunspell advantages... recipe... Jun 8, 2010

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

Thanks Bernard, but I already knew that.

So apparently SDL Studio now ONLY supports Open Office dictionaries, made by non-professional volunteers in their spare time

Just like Linux which represents the majority of servers on the globe
Srsly, the quality of some dictionnaries is/was discutable but they improve...

in a format SDL until recently wanted nothing to do with ? You've got to be kidding me!

Well.
As you know, SDL never managed to make work seamlessly Word spellchecker with TagEditor.
In fact, nobody managed to make it work in the real time (on the fly) outside of Word, AFAIK.
E.g. memoQ is able to use Word dictionaries too but if you want the misspelled words to be underlined on the fly, you should use Hunspell.
Hunspell is getting general because it's faster, interactive and you have no Word integration issues.
But the fact you have no choice in Studio may be considered as a step back.

In other words we have to start looking in the Open Source scene for an answer to the question: How do I transfer my Microsoft CUSTOM Dictionary into an Open Office custom dictionary? Should there be an answer to that question, I'll make sure to post it here.

Both custom dictionaries are simple text files.
Just save as UTF-8 and declare 'em in Studio.
I.e. create a custom dictionary in Studio, then replace the created file by your precious.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-06-08 13:46 GMT]

Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 8, 2010

You're the man, Grzegorz!

Okay, if the open source format is principally better, I'm all for it. Still, the fact that SDL silently switched to another format without much thought about migration issues is rather telling, again.

I've opened a Word custom dictionary and it looks like a very simple word list, so that should be no problem to edit or change over to another format.

By the way, I see words in three languages in my custom dictionary. Apparently there is not a custom dictionary for each language I work with and yet Word seems to know what language I'm working with. How does that work? Or was that an error and is the first code in the list (39-45) a language code? It seems that my German user dictionary is called BENUTZER.dic, but I can't find a Dutch equivalent.

Much appreciated.

[Edited at 2010-06-08 18:40 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Custom.dic... codes... Jun 9, 2010

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

By the way, I see words in three languages in my custom dictionary. Apparently there is not a custom dictionary for each language I work with and yet Word seems to know what language I'm working with. How does that work?

By default, the custom.dic file in Word is used for all languages.
It's possible to create separate files but nobody cares.

[quote]Or was that an error and is the first code in the list (39-45) a language code?
I don't think so.
Or the encoding is inhabitual.
Normally, 39 is Lithuanian, 45 is Basque. Dutch is 19.
It's rather World War II

It seems that my German user dictionary is called BENUTZER.dic, but I can't find a Dutch equivalent.

It may be related to a different level of localization for different languages.
E.g. in German a lot od system names like custom.dic are localized, in Polish the English system names are usually left unchanged.
Probably the German component defaults to benutzer.dic.

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can the Microsoft Office / Word spellchecker / dictionary be used in SDL Studio?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search