Thread poster: Hanne Flor
Hanne Flor  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 20:05
English to Danish
+ ...
Jun 9, 2010

Hello all fellow members,

Probably a lot of you know the solution for my problem: I have, for the first time, translated an Excel file using TagEditor. Now, when I opened the TagEditor file this morning, none of my work had been saved ! Yesterday, I saved the TagEditor file by selecting 'Save target as', whereby the option of saving it as an .xls file appeared. That seemed correct to me.
I tried to translate a few segments today and then saving it as bilingual (.ttx). No difference.

I've browsed through loads of topics in this forum to find an answer to my problem, but none looks like mine.

I have a feeling that the solution is quite simple (it must be), I just never used this combination before and I don't know it.

I use SDL Trados 8.0.

Thanks,

Hanne

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
ever saved as a bilingual file? Jun 9, 2010

Hello Hanne,

perhaps a silly question, but this is the only thing I can think of: while translating, have you saved "as a bilingual file" from time to time? (to do so you need to have all segments closed, otherwise TE won't let you save the file.

Practically, do you have a ttx file (in your case it would be an *.xls.ttx) in the same folder where the original is?

If not, simply import the original file once more into TE and let Translate (in TWB) do the job for you (I mean, even though you haven't saved the file as bilingual, translation units must be in your TM)

I presume you know, still when you "save as target", you create a file in the original format of the translation, whose name needs to be slightly changed not to overwrite the original.

Giuliana

[Edited at 2010-06-09 07:18 GMT]

Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's all done Jun 9, 2010

Hi Giuliana,

Thanks a lot for replying so quickly.

Yes, I have saved from time to time (and have the translated segments in the TM), but using 'Save target as' (and later just 'Save' - ctrl S) and not 'Save bilingual' (if I use the latter, I cannot open the file in Excel later).

And yes, I have an xls.ttx file (which I just created this morning to try something else) along with the same file (name) with the extension .xls. None of these files, when opened, contain the translated work.

I forgot to mention that when saving in TE as an Excel file, this error message came up: "Connection with server appplication error: Exception from HRESULT:ox800ao3ec"

I figured that TE had actually saved, because it took forever, but perhaps this is where the problem lies. I am not sure though.

Any other input/suggestions are welcome!

Hanne

Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 21:05
English to Hebrew
+ ...
The work procedure with TagEditor is as follows Jun 9, 2010

You open the Excel (or other type) file in TagEditor, wait for the conversion to end and save using File -> Save (or Ctrl+S).

TagEditor creates a TTX file in the same directory as the original file.

From now on, you work only with this file and save only this file.

To save the file while working (recommended!), you have to close all segments and choose File -> Save (or Ctrl+S).

When you complete the translation, you save the file back to its original format, using File -> Save Targe As (or Shift+F12).

HTH

Yossi

Tamás Donát  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Restart WB+TE Jun 9, 2010

Dear Hanne,

If I get it right, you have the same problem as I do sometimes.

The problem is that TagEditor is detached from some application server program.

So far, the solution for me has been the following:

1. Save the bilingual file (you have done it).
2. Close TagEditor.
3. Close Workbench.
4. Open Workbench.
5. Open TagEditor (double clicking your ..xls.ttx file is the best)
6. Save Target in xls file.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tamás

Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Simply not possible Jun 9, 2010

Thank you, Yossi and Tamás. I've tried both (all) your suggestions, especially Yossi's procedure made sense, but unfortunately the problem still exists (now the translation is saved in the .ttx file, but not shown, when I save bilingual in the end and then open the file in Excel).

Anyway, it must have something to do with that message, which is an Excel bug, I think. I'll just have to give it up, I suppose, before it gives me a nervous breakdown. So much for translating Excel files in the future !

Thanks again for all your replies.

Hanne

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Bilingual view in TE on?? Jun 9, 2010

Hanne,

Excel hasn't anything to do with your problem. Sorry, but you are doing something the wrong way.

in TE, are you displaying the text in the bilingual view?? (bottom tags, you have tags with nice language flags for source, target and bilingual view)

Now, again.

- save as a bilingual file --> you only get a (bilingual) ttx

- save as target (which you have to do once your translation is finalized, ready for delivery, and if requested by your client, not all of them want the translation file, but only the ttx) --> only the translation in Excel (in your case)

If you don't save as target from within TE, you can't have the translation in Excel format (BTW, translation only, no bilingual view, except you have copied & pasted the original in another column and hidden the first before saving and importing it into TagEditor

Giuliana

Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No bilingual view possible... Jun 9, 2010

No, I normally the Edit view when I translate. If I choose bilingual view, the same error message appears (in my xls.ttx file).

Normally an Excel fil to be translated contains the source text in one column, and then the target text must be inserted in the next column. This is not the case here. All columns must be translated. Perhaps that's why TagEditor/Excel cannot cooperate.

I can still translate in the xls.ttx file, and fill the TM with the translation. I'll just have to go from there.

I have used TagEditor numerous times before, but just never for an Excel file!

Thanks anyway Giuliana.

Hanne

Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 21:05
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Did you change the TTX's default file name? Jun 9, 2010

The TTX file must have the same name as the Excel file, with ttx extention.

For example, if you Excel file name is "MyFile.xls", then the TTX file name should be "MyFile.xls.ttx".

Remember to always keep a backup copy of the original Excel file, because when you save the TTX file back as Excel file, it overwrites the original file.

[Edited at 2010-06-09 11:13 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Work not saved when using TagEditor for Excel file

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search