Highlighting of differences suddenly not working
Thread poster: xxxMarkAlexande
xxxMarkAlexande
Local time: 07:44
Jun 10, 2010

Hi --

I'm in the early phase of working with Studio 9 SP2. I'm quite happy with the program but frustrated at what seems to be a stream of inconsistent behaviors. One, for which I can find no cause, is that the difference highlighting in the translation results pane has suddenly switched off. Completely. All by itself, mid-project.

I've checked the format options for the editing window and the underline/crossout fonts are still indicated. But the returned results show only the segment itself. It's up to me to figure out where there might be differences. This renders the results next to useless, of course.

I'd be very much obliged for any help anyone more experienced with Studio 9 can offer.

Thanks,

Mark A.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxMarkAlexande
TOPIC STARTER
Automatic translation implicated Jun 10, 2010

I've continued to play with this problem since my original posting. The automatic translation function is somehow implicated. I have Google set up. If I switch off that resource, the highlighting reappears. If I switch it on again, the highlighting disappears. This is taking place regardless of how many units are returned from my own TMs in addition to Google.

So that's a clue, but it's not a fix

Mark A.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
same problem for me Jun 10, 2010

I can't solve your problem, Mark, but I can confirm that I get it too

Yes, it does sometimes seem to be related to Google MT being enabled, but not always. I've had this problem since last March, and switching Google MT off used to help, but not anymore.
Segment differences are sometimes highlighted and sometimes not.

Right now and for the past week I have had no differences highlighted at all in the translation results window for any files or any projects. And, yes, I do have the "show translation memory source segment differences" enabled in options>editor>translation results window.

It's frustrating.

xxxMarkAlexande
TOPIC STARTER
Stability issues? Jun 10, 2010

Hi Emma –

Thanks for confirming you have the issue, too. It is frustrating. I'm a fairly long-term user of other CAT software (memoQ) and I was quite taken with the overall interface of Studio 9. The fuzzy concordance feature and the way it presents results are just magic for me, since I translate out of a highly inflected language. I also discover existing resources like DGT are doing a lot more for me in Studio. So there's an awful lot to like about the program.

But I'm getting leery because of repeated instability. The difference highlighting issue has resolved itself spontaneously, whether Google is on or off. But meantime, when I tried to enter a new term in the termbase, I got "Java 2 Runtime cannot be loaded". Then Studio froze, forced a hard shutdown of the computer – and when I finally got everything up and going again, all of my preferences had reverted to default and had to be set again from scratch. Now, the termbase works and Java loads in the background no problem. I have a list of similar incidents that now fills a page of my notebook, including one in which Studio simply disappeared from the screen without a trace. I haven't seen that since the good old days of Windows ME

In short, Trados Studio 9 is unstable. It's magnificent when it's playing nicely. But I'm kind of hunkered down here waiting to see what might happen next.

Mark.

xxxMarkAlexande
TOPIC STARTER
GT4T may help this problem Jun 11, 2010

One last post on this topic for anyone who may experience this difficulty in the future:

Insofar as Studio's integration of Google MT may be involved, there's a little utility made by a translator in China named Dallas Cao that works great for me, called GT4T Pro. Basically, it runs in the background and if you press Ctrl + Alt + J, it'll automatically drop the Google translation into the target side, just as the built-in Trados function is supposed to do. So far, it's flawless and allows me to keep Google MT switched off and get the same benefit without stirring the hornet's nest of dependencies in Trados itself.

Mark.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Solution from SDL support Jun 23, 2010

Good news Mark!
Felix Wagner from SDL Support solved this issue through a remote session.

Go to Project>settings>language pairs>(your language pairs)>Translation memory> and change the order in the list of enabled TMs, sending Google to the bottom of the list. (Use the blue arrow "move down" icon). You'll probably find that Google Translate was on the top of the list, which meant that it was consulted first for matches, hence the issue of not highlighting the differences found in other TMs.

Also put Google Translate at the bottom of the list for your general settings by going through Tools>options>Language Pairs etc. as above.

Now the differences will be highlighted in the Translation memory window!

Thought I'd share this with you and anyone else who has the same problem

xxxMarkAlexande
TOPIC STARTER
Super! Jun 24, 2010

Thanks very much, Emma. I'll make the change straightaway.

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:44
English to Spanish
Studio 2011 - Translation Results Window does not show segment differences anymore Jun 7, 2012

Hi all,

Lately I have been having a problem that I never had before, without me changing any settings.

Now, the Translation Results Window sometimes (not always) shows text added, but does not show text deleted any more. And this is with segments where there have clearly been additions and deletions.

The best match always appears properly on the target side of the Editor.

Like I mentioned, I have not changed anything in the settings.

I checked Options/Editor/Translation Results Window and I have the "Show Translation Memory Source Segment Differences" checkbox enabled.

I do not have, and never had, Google machine translation enabled, so SDL's solution kindly cited by Emma does not work for me.

I have no idea what is going on.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Miguel

[Edited at 2012-06-07 17:30 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Highlighting of differences suddenly not working

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search