DanielT  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:23
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
Jun 10, 2010

Hello,

I have an issue with Tag Editor (Trados 7): I have some html files to translate, which have been sent to me in .rtf format. But when I open any of these files with Tag Editor, most of the text which should be translatable appears in grey boxes (similar to external tags, see screenshot below).

Am I doing something wrong?

I have also opened the files with a trial version of Trados studio 2009, and with Wordfast (under MS Word). All the text displays correctly with both of them, but for various reasons I need to use Tag Editor...

Any help about this would be greatly appreciated!

[Modifié le 2010-06-10 13:51 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Define an INI file Jun 10, 2010

Hi Daniel,
I'm afraid you will have to define a special INI file which will enable TagEditor to display the translatable content correctly.

Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 07:23
English to Hebrew
+ ...
In the RTF files, which style is applied on the translatable text? Jun 10, 2010

If it is "tw4winExternal", then Trados sees it as untranslatable text.

If you have to work with TagEditor, why don't your customer send you the HTML files?

France
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both for your answers, Jun 10, 2010

@Stanislav: I was afraid of such an answer which would involve a knowledge of TagEditor that I do not possess. I will try to investigate this lead (if you know any useful reference/resource or if you have any advice, please let me know).

@Yossi: in MS Word, the style seems to be set correctly (raw text).
Concerning your 2nd question, I have strictly no idea...

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
No general advice Jun 10, 2010

Hi Daniel,
I'm afraid there is no general advice. I would have to see the document and work with it for a while to define an INI.
You can refer to Trados documentation, but I suspect it would take you an enormous amount of time to get things working for the first time.

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:23
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Two Suggestions Jun 10, 2010

Strange that your customer is sending you HTML files as rtf.

I suggest translating the .rtf files in Trados Workbench, not TagEditor.

Or, as Yossi says, ask the customer for the original html files and translate them in TagEditor.

France
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I made my mind Jun 10, 2010

Actually, this client seems quite demanding about respecting the settings he provided, and I assume he usually knows well what he does when preparing files for translation.
I guess this time was an exception, but I now consider this as his responsibility and - given what has been said hereabove - I think I should not try to make this text translatable. I'd rather need to discuss with the client and find another solution to complete this project.

Thank you all for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text untranslatable with Tag Editor

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search