Thread poster: William Tierney
William Tierney
William Tierney  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:46
Member (2002)
Arabic to English
Jun 10, 2010

I have a PPT (2003 version) that will not print as a target translation. The particular error message is "Mismatch with source detected. Unable to create target document." The SDL Knowledgebase has an article on this, which suggests that the reason could be that a hyperlink is unaccounted for. The solution is to click on the error message, which will take you to the problematic segment. When I try this in my case, the response is a window that states: "There is no particular location in the... See more
I have a PPT (2003 version) that will not print as a target translation. The particular error message is "Mismatch with source detected. Unable to create target document." The SDL Knowledgebase has an article on this, which suggests that the reason could be that a hyperlink is unaccounted for. The solution is to click on the error message, which will take you to the problematic segment. When I try this in my case, the response is a window that states: "There is no particular location in the document associated with this message."

I have tried running a separate project. This does not work. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill Tierney
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:46
English to Czech
+ ...
Any missing tags? Jun 11, 2010

Hi William,
run a tag verification check. There may be a few tags missing in your translation that may prevent Studio from exporting the PPT.

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Modified source file? Jun 11, 2010

Has the original PPT file used for tanslation been modified in any way? Usually this error appears when the source file has been modified.

William Tierney
United States
Member (2002)
Arabic to English
TOPIC STARTER
Tag Settings and Altered Source File Jun 11, 2010

Hi Stanislav,

No internal tags appear within the document, and there were no error warnings specific to mismatched tags. I am familiar with this issue from 2007, but with 2009, I went through the QA checker and couldn't find anything specific to tag verification.

I modified the verification settings so there would be no error messages, ran verification again, and had only the one error message "mismatch with source detected . . . "

Dear Marie-Claude,
... See more
Hi Stanislav,

No internal tags appear within the document, and there were no error warnings specific to mismatched tags. I am familiar with this issue from 2007, but with 2009, I went through the QA checker and couldn't find anything specific to tag verification.

I modified the verification settings so there would be no error messages, ran verification again, and had only the one error message "mismatch with source detected . . . "

Dear Marie-Claude,

There was no modification in the source file between when the first project was initiated and the first appearance of the "mismatch with source detected." In this PPT, the original author used carriage returns within text box labels to throw the segmentation out of whack. I did make an alternate version of the source document without the carriage returns so that it would segment properly. I made a new project, but the problem sections were still segmented as if the carriage returns were still there, even though I had removed them.

Another question I have is bullet points. I am inserting text from another translator, who set up auto-bulleting. Even though I didn't copy and paste the actual bullet, they showed up in the target segment within Studio 2009 anyway. I eliminated all of the bullets, but it did not solve the problem.
Collapse

mutarjem
mutarjem  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
strange Problem Jun 11, 2010

Hello Bill,

1. This problem can have so many unknown reasons.
2. See if you can work on a new file using an older version of Trados, such as 2007 version.
3. Check if there are any updates or fixes on the
http://talisma.sdl.com/
website

let me know if that does not help and you can send me the file to give it a try.

Sam Ragab

mutarjem
mutarjem  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
Helpful solution Jun 11, 2010

This is a bug in the Microsoft PowerPoint binary filter for the treatment of grouped objects inserted into PowerPoint master slides. This bug will be fixed in the future.
Resolution
There is a workaround:

Open the file in Microsoft PowerPoint.

Go to View > Master > Slide Master to choose the the master slide view:

Look through your master slide(s) for grouped objects, such as self-built enterprise logos.

Un-group all group
... See more
This is a bug in the Microsoft PowerPoint binary filter for the treatment of grouped objects inserted into PowerPoint master slides. This bug will be fixed in the future.
Resolution
There is a workaround:

Open the file in Microsoft PowerPoint.

Go to View > Master > Slide Master to choose the the master slide view:

Look through your master slide(s) for grouped objects, such as self-built enterprise logos.

Un-group all grouped objects by right-clicking on the object and selecting Grouping > Ungroup from the shortcut menu.

Save the Microsoft PowerPoint file.

Open the newly generated Microsoft PowerPoint file in SDL TagEditor.

Then click on Save target as to test if the file can now be saved in its target language.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Can we see your file? Jun 12, 2010

Hi William,

Can we see your sdlxliff and your source powerpoint file? If so, you can send them to me at [email protected]

Regards

Paul

William Tierney
United States
Member (2002)
Arabic to English
TOPIC STARTER
Restricted Content Jun 12, 2010

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your offer, but the content is restricted. I "solved" the problem by cutting and pasting from the editor view into the PowerPoint presentation.

In this case, I was the English-native reviewer for a native-Arabic translator who does not have CAT tools. He wrote out the translation in MS Word, I checked it, then inserted it in the target segment.

Since the original PowerPoint had bullet points at some parts, the translator put in
... See more
Dear Paul,

Thank you for your offer, but the content is restricted. I "solved" the problem by cutting and pasting from the editor view into the PowerPoint presentation.

In this case, I was the English-native reviewer for a native-Arabic translator who does not have CAT tools. He wrote out the translation in MS Word, I checked it, then inserted it in the target segment.

Since the original PowerPoint had bullet points at some parts, the translator put in auto bullets in the text. Do you think that some of the metadata found its way into the target segment and threw things off?

I know that from now on, in this kind of situation, I am going to save to txt before going through this drill.

Cheers,

Bill
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Maybe... Jun 12, 2010

Hi Bill,

Ok - sounds a good move next time if you have to work this way. I think a QA check on the document, F8, would have (should have) picked this up. You mention that you had one source mismatch error. Did you check to see what this was?

Glad you found a way to resolve the problem at least.

Regards

Paul

TylerGArabic
TylerGArabic
Arabic to English
+ ...
A workaround: convert your PPT into PPTX Mar 26, 2011

Hi,

Try saving your PPT source file as a PPTX. This will strip the file of its binary tags and links, and it will then be convertible in Trados (just populate the "new" pptx blingual file in Trados using the memory from your "original" ppt bilingual file).

Cheers

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't Produce Target Translation in Studio 2009

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »