JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 02:36
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jun 13, 2010

Hi all,

Would be grateful of any suggestions on how I can resolve this. It started yesterday - each time I tried to open a newly created project, I had the following error after the file had partly opened (as shown by the progress bar):

"Unexpected exception when getting view part instance of view part Term Recognition"

If I tried to open the file again, I got:

"Key not found Parameter name: key"

The file would not open, and the program then failed to respond.

This has continued today, with different new projects. I have now upgraded to SP2 in the hope that this would fix the problem, but I have instead had the same message when trying to open a project, and I now get it again even when trying to run the program at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Jane

xxxMarkAlexande
I have a similar problem Jun 14, 2010

Hi Jane --

Just to let you know you're not alone. I have a very similar problem and cannot work with Studio 2009 at all. I was simply playing with background colors, when a box came up announcing the resource could not be set to Transparent (the color I was trying to set the background to). So I closed Trados and re-opened, hoping that would fix the problem, but instead I got the same announcement you did:

"Unexpected exception when getting view part instance of view part Translation Results".

Now Studio 2009 won't open at all. I shut down and restarted the computer and that didn't help, either. Fortunately I'm not working on a project with a midnight deadline. But this seems like a pretty heavy price to pay for fiddling with a couple of background colors. I've just posted a topic with the particulars of my situation, including the full error dump, but unfortunately no solution.

Mark.

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glad I'm not alone... Jun 14, 2010

Hi Mark,

I'm glad I'm not alone, but I'm sorry to hear you have the same problem!

I too don't absolutely need the program just at the moment, but I am being forced to use Trados 2007 while it is not working, which I would rather not do... When I have time I shall uninstall it and start all over again, and see if that does the trick, unless anyone has come up with a better idea in the meantime.

Fingers crossed for both of us.

Jane

xxxMarkAlexande
A workaround, not perfect Jun 15, 2010

Jane, I went file hunting last night and found a likely suspect named UserSettings.xml in Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0. I tried to find a setting I might tweak to resolve the problem in the XML, but couldn't. So the next best thing was to try deleting the file altogether. I also took out BaseSettings.xml just for good measure.

The result is, Studio automatically re-created the deleted files afresh and the program opened again – without, unfortunately, my font preferences, colors, etc. But at least I don't have to reinstall the whole program. I suspect this set of files is going to be a good one to get to know up close and personalicon_smile.gif

Mark.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Beat me to it Jun 15, 2010

Thanks Mark,

These are indeed a likely culprit. It's always worth trying deleting the following files in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0 and restart. If you are using Vista or W7 it will be C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\.

BaseSettings.xml
plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

They will be recreated and it may help, although you will lose some preferences as Mark said, but no dataloss.

Regards

Paul

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the info Jun 15, 2010

I thought it might be something like this, but didn't know where to look! It's always useful to know what files you should delete if you have problems.

Anyway, I haven't time to try this immediately, but will do so later and hope it works.

Thanks for the help.

Jane

Scott Savaiano  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:36
French to English
This is happening to me now post SP3 upgrade Nov 1, 2010

can anyone help me find the settings files to be deleted? i don't believe the path provided earlier works anymore. HELP I am up against a deadline! ty

Helen Johnston  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
Catalan to English
+ ...
Has anyone resolved this problem yet? Nov 26, 2010

I installed SP3 yesterday. Seemed fine, I restarted the PC, ran through the set up wizard and everything was still there, TMs, the lot. I created a new project, did a bit of work on it, and shut down.

Today, I can't open the programme - getting this error message each time. I have tried repairing the inslatllation, then reinstalling, rebooting, all the usual tricks. Still the same.

I cannot find the file path mentioned by Paul (I am using Windows7). The only subfolder I have in Appdata is Microsoft. I have searched the system for the file names and they do not seem to be there.

I had only just started the project, and I have time to do it in TagEditor if I can't sort this out, but I would prefer to get on in Studio 2009 asap if possible.

Any help appreciated,

Helen

Helen Johnston  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
Catalan to English
+ ...
Problem solved Dec 3, 2010

A useful extra piece of information from SDL support. I couldn't find the folder referred to in Paul's post, seems this is the trick:

If you can not find this folder, you might need to enable the hidden files view under Windows 7. The needed steps can be found here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Show-hidden-files

Yes, it worked.

Shang
China
Local time: 08:36
English to Chinese
I encounter the same problem. Mar 7, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

Thanks Mark,

These are indeed a likely culprit. It's always worth trying deleting the following files in C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0 and restart. If you are using Vista or W7 it will be C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\.

BaseSettings.xml
plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

They will be recreated and it may help, although you will lose some preferences as Mark said, but no dataloss.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

I can't open SDL Trados Studio 2009 after upgrading to SP3. This following is the error message:

-
Unexpected exception when getting view part instance of view part Translation Results
-
Sdl.Desktop.Platform.StudioException, Sdl.Desktop.Platform, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c28cdb26c445c888

Sdl.Desktop.Platform
-
-

-
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

mscorlib
-
-

-
System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

System.Runtime.Serialization
-
-

-
SDL Trados Studio
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Service Pack 3
EDMUNDSHANG\Owner
EDMUNDSHANG
True
2078756 MB

The following user specific profiles don't exist in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0 folder:

BaseSettings.xml
plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

Only LastRunEdition.xml is found:

Freelance

Even if this file is remarked out the application can't start.

Thank you in advance.

Edmund

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 - Unexpected exception

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search