Thread poster: Kristian Madar

Kristian Madar  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 15:22
Member (2008)
English to Slovak
+ ...
Jun 14, 2010

After closing the TU by set/close open /get next in Trados 2007 the Slovak accents change or disappear.

Does anybody have an idea why is this and how can I sort this?

Eg. I type in: Jazdenie na elektrickom skútri môže byť nebezpečné. after closing,
it changes to: Jazdenie na elektrickom skútri môže by nebezpeèné.

Thanks evrybody

[Edited at 2010-06-14 14:41 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:22
French to Polish
+ ...
An eternal problem... Jun 14, 2010

Kristian Madar wrote:

After closing the TU by set/close open /get next in Trados 2007 the Slovak accents change or disappear.

Does anybody have an idea why is this and how can I sort this?

Eg. I type in: Jazdenie na elektrickom skútri môže byť nebezpečné. after closing,
it changes to: Jazdenie na elektrickom skútri môže by nebezpeèné.

It's a well known Trados "feature"...
Google for "Trados change fonts" or "Trados font corruption".
You may find some explanations and workarounds.

Nonetheless, the only sound solution is to throw out Trados considered as Word + Workbench combo.
If you must assure the bilingual DOC/RTF compatibility, you should use an external tool like DVX, memoQ and many other (e.g., for simpler documents Swordfish should do the job).
If you simply want to work in Word, you have e.g. Wordfast Classic or Metatexis.

Cheers
GG

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 16:22
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Hi Kristian, Jun 14, 2010

The font you work in may not support Slovak accents.
Apply a different font. Choose a font that supports Slovak accents (Times New Roman or Arial would be just fine).
Preferably you should change the style font, so that the problem does not recur (NOT the Normal style, though). Save your document first.
HTH,
Sandra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Accents change in the target sentences after closing TU

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search