Terms with shared elements don't appear
Thread poster: xxxMarkAlexande
xxxMarkAlexande
Local time: 02:12
Jun 15, 2010

Hi -

I have a situation in which there is an existing term "aircraft parts and facilities". It shows fine in the termbase window and also has the proper red overline in the translation grid. But when I try to create a term out of "testing facilities", although the term is created fine, it shows in neither the termbase window nor on the translation grid if the same unit contains both terms. Only the longer, original, term is displayed. This seems like really weird behavior. I need both terms to display within the same unit when they arise.

Is this normal Studio 2009 behavior? Is there a switch to throw that I'm not seeing or any other way to get the termbase function to behave better?

Thanks.

Mark Alexander.

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Did you save the termbase entry? Jun 15, 2010

Hi Mark,
this all looks as if you didn't save the new termbase entry. Have you checked that the entry is saved by opening the termbase in MultiTerm and searching it for the new entry?

You may also try to refine the termbase search by increasing the term recognition accuracy. AFAIK, the default value is 70%; I usually use 85%.

It would be nice if you could attach a screenshot. A screenshot is sometimes worth a thousand words.

[Upraveno: 2010-06-15 19:32 GMT]

xxxMarkAlexande
TOPIC STARTER
Ignore this :-) Jun 15, 2010

If I could delete this post, I would but there doesn't seem to be any way to do that. The problem turned out to be a simple one to do with the fuzzy match rate I had set (Czech is a highly inflected language and I needed to have the fuzzy rate lower.)

Sorry if I've diverted your attention...

Mark.

xxxMarkAlexande
TOPIC STARTER
There is an issue after all, though. Jun 15, 2010

Stanislav, as I indicated above, the specific problem I had in that instance was just because of fuzzy match settings that were too strict for Czech.

I really am having a problem, though, with some terms not showing up. Unfortunately, I can't stick 'em up here because I have a confidentiality issue with this particular document that even showing a couple of terms might violate. But suffice it to say that one of the terms is fairly long (8 longish words) and one is just a one-word term. I know the terms are in the termbase because if I run a search, they show. But term recognition fails to show them and the red overline doesn't appear. I'm really puzzled. The only thing I can think of is that the long term was in the middle of the line when I created it by selecting, but the succeeding instance which fails to show in term recognition stretches across the line boundaries in the display. And I believe the first, one word, term stood at the start of the line when I created it. Why that should make a difference, I can't imagine. But something strange is going on.

Mark.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Strange indeed Jun 15, 2010

Hi Mark,
what you describe is really strange. Would you mind if I contacted you over PM? If I remember well, we live in the same town. If we can meet, I could take a look at the issues you are experiencing and - with any luck - we will resolve them.

[Upraveno: 2010-06-15 21:00 GMT]

xxxMarkAlexande
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Stanislav, yes fine. Jun 15, 2010

I'm new enough to this site that I'm not sure how people get in touch directly. But I presume if you send me a message at my profile, it'll get to my regular e-mail. I appreciate the offer.

Thanks,
Mark.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Terms with shared elements don't appear

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search