Move File Location of Project in Trados 2009
Thread poster: Owen owenfw

Owen owenfw
Local time: 17:38
Finnish to English
+ ...
Jun 16, 2010

I've noticed that if I move the folder containing a Trados project, I can no longer open the project. Does anyone know how to overcome this?

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:38
English
Moving Projects Jun 16, 2010

Hi Owen,

If you move a Project then Studio will no longer know where it is. To rectify this right click on the Project in Studio, select Remove from list and then use File - Open Project to open it from its correct location. Now when you double click it in Studio it will open correctly.

Regards

Paul

Owen owenfw
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, no dice. Jun 16, 2010

Thanks, Paul. This doesn't work though. Here's what I'm seeing. For each project I have a client subfolder like Client_JobNum, within which I create a folder called Trados, which is the directory I tell Studio to use. Now, if I take that Trados folder and move it up a level in the directory tree, Studio obviously can't find it. However, I can't even open the project file directly as you suggested. I just get a message that says "The selected project could not be opened."

I'm guessing there is some hard-coding inside the .sdlproj file. I opened it with a text editor, but could see an obvious problem spot (although I didn't look all that thoroughly).

This isn't a huge issue obviously, but I do like to reogranize folders occasionally...

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Very odd Jun 16, 2010

Hi Owen,

I couldn't replicate your problem at first, but then I wondered how you created your Projects. If I open document and save it so that this creates a Project for me, rather than specifically create a Project first then I can reproduce this problem.

If you create a Project and save the Project in your Trados Folder then you can move the Project without problem... I hope.

I'll have to speak to a cleverer person than me tomorrow to see why this is, but maybe this would be the way for you to work if you wish to keep the entire Projects as a reference rather than just the sdlxliffs once the translation is complete.

Regards

Paul

Owen owenfw
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Curiouser and curiouser. Jun 16, 2010

This is odd, since I create all of my projects through the New Project wizard, never by opening individual files.

I was quite surprised when I opened the sdlproj file to see that it looked like all of the links were relative except for the paths to the TM files...it seems like the location of the project files shouldn't matter just so long as all of the directories are kept together.

Remigiusz Drewniak KONTYNENT  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
Spanish to Polish
+ ...
My solution found by chance Jun 22, 2010

if you don't know the path and can't open project, please do the following:

New > project > indicate the location of the project in "Create a project based on the previois project" window

The response will be "Project not found and will be removed from list" (that's what we want and we are unable to do, because it isn't on the list!)

Now Cancel create window, do "Open > Project" and indicate the project, it opens.

Regards,
RD

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You can find this information in Project Settings Jun 22, 2010

Just go to project settings via any means and look in the tab for Project.
It will tell you the location of the project file.

Remigiusz Drewniak KONTYNENT  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
Spanish to Polish
+ ...
impossible Jul 6, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Just go to project settings via any means and look in the tab for Project.
It will tell you the location of the project file.

The real issue is that in the case of this particular error it is impossible to open the project and check the settings, because the project just disappears from the list and can't open, even from "file menu". That is because the project isn't shown although trados still recognizes it as if it were on the list and doesn't let open it from a new place. My solution permits to introduce the project (that was moved by accident) from a new location.

[Zmieniono 2010-07-06 13:01 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Move File Location of Project in Trados 2009

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search