Files translated in Trados 2009 but the client needs files in Trados 2007 - what to do?
Thread poster: Pradeep Neupane

Pradeep Neupane  Identity Verified
Nepal
Local time: 19:57
Member (2013)
English to Nepali
+ ...
Jun 17, 2010

Please help me…

I had got one project that contains 200 numbers of files that has to be done with SDL trados. And I was doing it smoothly with SDL trados 2007. Almost 150 numbers of files I finished using SDL trados 2007. After the release of SDL trados 2009 I decided to upgrade my project with 2009. I mean to say the left number (50) files I finished using SDL trados 2009. I had upgraded my TM of trados 2007 to 2009 but the trados 2009 was unable to store the terminology to its database but I did keep on translating files using trados 2009. When I finished and delivered the files to my client, they commented that we don’t accept the files that have been done using trados 2009. Translating files took me about one year. Now I am in condition that I can’t start translating those 50 files again using trados 2007.
The main problem is that my trados 2009 TM is not working so I couldn’t do the auto translation to those files again using trados 2007 because my trados 2009 TM was not working. So, my friends kindly suggest me that how can I overcome this problem.

Direct link Reply with quote

Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 15:12
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Winalign Jun 17, 2010

Align your translation with the source via winalign and create a TMX then everything should be fine...that is if the alignment is good...

julienwp
France
English to French
Bilingual files are the solution Jun 17, 2010

Pradeep Neupane wrote:

Please help me…

I had got one project that contains 200 numbers of files that has to be done with SDL trados. And I was doing it smoothly with SDL trados 2007. Almost 150 numbers of files I finished using SDL trados 2007. After the release of SDL trados 2009 I decided to upgrade my project with 2009. I mean to say the left number (50) files I finished using SDL trados 2009. I had upgraded my TM of trados 2007 to 2009 but the trados 2009 was unable to store the terminology to its database but I did keep on translating files using trados 2009. When I finished and delivered the files to my client, they commented that we don’t accept the files that have been done using trados 2009. Translating files took me about one year. Now I am in condition that I can’t start translating those 50 files again using trados 2007.
The main problem is that my trados 2009 TM is not working so I couldn’t do the auto translation to those files again using trados 2007 because my trados 2009 TM was not working. So, my friends kindly suggest me that how can I overcome this problem.

Hi there,

There should be Studio bilingual files (*.sdlxliff) in your project folder. Just go to Studio, create a new TM, import these bilingual files and then export the TM as TMX. Import the TMX in Trados 2007. Then, you just have to run Workbench on those last 50 files and send them as TTX to your client.
Hope this helps.

Next time you want to use Studio for a client, pretranslate the files with Workbench (as TTX) and then translate in Studio. Once the translation is finished, finalize it and export back to TTX... I do that almost every day. It works great!

Regards.

Nguyen Dieu  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 21:12
Member (2008)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Trados 2009 to Trados 2007 Jun 18, 2010

Hi JulienP,

Could you please be more clear how to translate with Studio 2009 and export back to TTX?

Thank you.

julienwp
France
English to French
Create project with TTX files Jun 18, 2010

Nguyen Cong Dieu wrote:

Hi JulienP,

Could you please be more clear how to translate with Studio 2009 and export back to TTX?

Thank you.

Hi!

Here is my procedure for clients who don't own Studio 2009:

1. Pretranslate files in Workbench (Trados 2007) - note: use the 'Segment unknown sentences' option.
2. Export your client's TM to TMX 1.4b.
3. Create a TM in Studio, then import the TMX file. Select the second import option (the one for legacy ITD and TTX).
4. Translate
5. Click on Project > Batch Tasks > Finalize.
6. Go to your project folder. You'll find the TTX in your language combination subfolder.

The trick here is to create a project with TTX files. If you don't, you can't get TTX at the end!

Best regards.

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
Here's my standard answer to TTX compatibility questions Jun 21, 2010

Nguyen Cong Dieu wrote:

Hi JulienP,

Thank you.

To deliver bilingual TTXs and cleaned translated files from a Word file, for example:

1. Obtain the original Word file and convert it to a TTX in Suite.
2. Translate the TTX in Studio.
3. With the file open in the Editor view, select Save Target As… from the File menu and then click Original File to create a clean Word file.
4. In the Projects view, right-click your project, select Batch Tasks and then Finalize to create a bilingual TTX.

This compatibility procedure disables the real-time preview feature in Studio, but you can still preview your file in Word at any time while translating by clicking the View Target button on the Preview toolbar.
For non-Office files for which you do not have the originating program (or when you cannot obtain an original file, only a TTX), just translate the provided TTX. However, you will only be able to preview the file in Internet Explorer.

Nguyen Dieu  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 21:12
Member (2008)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Thanks Jun 28, 2010

Thank you very much for your sharing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Files translated in Trados 2009 but the client needs files in Trados 2007 - what to do?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search