Best screen size for SDL Trados Studio 2009
Thread poster: Ricardo Horta

Ricardo Horta  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:56
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 17, 2010

First of all, let me apologize if this has been asked before. I used the search tool, but didn't find a definitive answer for this.

Yesterday, I bought SDL Trados Studio 2009 (still waiting for it to arrive on the mail). I'm also planning to buy a computer. Right now, I'm using a 2007 Macbook (13.3'' screen) with an external 22'' monitor (running VMWare Fusion as a virtual drive with XP), but I'd like to buy a Macbook Pro. My question is: 15'' or 17'' screen?

I guess that most of the time the computer will be connected to my external monitor, but if I have to work "on the road", will the 15'' screen be enough for Trados? I know the best answer will probably be "the bigger the screen, the better", but considering there is a big price difference between the 15'' and 17'' models, do you think it will be worth to spending a few hundred Euros more for those extra 2''?

Ricardo

Direct link Reply with quote

Algis Masys
Canada
Local time: 23:56
Member (2009)
English to Lithuanian
PC, not Mac Jun 17, 2010

I'd stick to a PC laptop with a large screen. You could easily get a 17" PC for a price of 15" Mac. In fact I see no point of using Mac to translate.

English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes... Jun 17, 2010

... that's also something I'm considering.

I don't want the computer only to translate, but also to do photo editing and music recording. Having worked with a PC and a Mac (especially recording music), I found the Mac to be a more stable platform.

-- EDIT--

But you're probably right. If I don't sell my current macbook, I can use it for music recording and the new PC (or Mac) to work.

Ricardo

[Edited at 2010-06-17 15:46 GMT]

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
Biggest screen possible Jun 17, 2010

You will need it when only using one screen.

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:56
English to Russian
+ ...
Are you ready to pay for your own convenience? Jun 17, 2010

but if I have to work "on the road", will the 15'' screen be enough for Trados?

It will.
Actually, THE QUESTION IS - are you ready to pay for your own convenience or not?

If you are a freelancer - you are an employer to yourself.

And it's your employer's choise - to spend or not to spend!

English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know what you mean... Jun 17, 2010

...but my funds a bit limited. If you tell me that a 15-inch screen is enough for my occasional use of Trados on the road (and I want to stress occasional here), then I think I'd rather spend my money on a larger HD and more RAM. Remember that, while at home, I'll use it plugged to a 22'' screen.

Thanks for the answers.

Ricardo

Algis Masys
Canada
Local time: 23:56
Member (2009)
English to Lithuanian
Screen is more important than RAM and HD Jun 17, 2010

You do not need a lot of space in your hard drive or a workstation-level amount of RAM to be productive in translation. 500 GB / 4 GB in the most of cases is more than enough. But a smaller screen in the long run might mean more problems with your vision.

Even if you use 22" screen, it is better to have larger secondary monitor in dual display setup.

Joel Earnest
Local time: 08:56
Swedish to English
Should be good enough Jun 17, 2010

ricardonhorta wrote:

...but my funds a bit limited. If you tell me that a 15-inch screen is enough for my occasional use of Trados on the road (and I want to stress occasional here), then I think I'd rather spend my money on a larger HD and more RAM. Remember that, while at home, I'll use it plugged to a 22'' screen.

Thanks for the answers.

Ricardo

I have a 24-inch monitor connected to a laptop with a 15.4-inch screen. For occasional use, the smallish laptop screen works fine.
One thing I've been meaning to try when working with the smaller screen is Studio's fullscreen view. That should help.

[Edited at 2010-06-17 20:47 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best screen size for SDL Trados Studio 2009

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search