Trados Trial and TMs
Thread poster: Whitney Bryan
Whitney Bryan
Whitney Bryan  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:58
Italian to English
Jun 18, 2010

Hello, Proz.com Community!

I hope that you can help me with a problem. I am considering purchasing Trados, so I downloaded the 30-day trial version to test with a translation for which there was an optional Trados file and translation memory. The translation memory folder has options in .tmw, .mwf, .mtf, .mdf, .iix, and .txt, but the trial version of Trados Studio will not let me open these. I assume I would need a .ttx file to open my TM in this version; is there a way to convert
... See more
Hello, Proz.com Community!

I hope that you can help me with a problem. I am considering purchasing Trados, so I downloaded the 30-day trial version to test with a translation for which there was an optional Trados file and translation memory. The translation memory folder has options in .tmw, .mwf, .mtf, .mdf, .iix, and .txt, but the trial version of Trados Studio will not let me open these. I assume I would need a .ttx file to open my TM in this version; is there a way to convert one of the above files to a format Trados Studio 2009 trial version will open? While I understand not offering all the features in a trial version, I cannot consider purchasing something with which I cannot test my TM file, so any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Whitney
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 01:58
English to Czech
+ ...
Quick format reference Jun 18, 2010

Hi Whitney,
just to bring a little more light into all the file formats to help you get started:

1. The file extensions .tmw, .mwf, .mtf, .mdf, and .iix all belong to one translation memory, more precisely the legacy Translator's Workbench 2007 format. In other words, all of these five files form one translation memory which can be:
a) Opened in Translator's Workbench
b) Upgraded for use in Studio

2. The TXT file is most probably just an export of the
... See more
Hi Whitney,
just to bring a little more light into all the file formats to help you get started:

1. The file extensions .tmw, .mwf, .mtf, .mdf, and .iix all belong to one translation memory, more precisely the legacy Translator's Workbench 2007 format. In other words, all of these five files form one translation memory which can be:
a) Opened in Translator's Workbench
b) Upgraded for use in Studio

2. The TXT file is most probably just an export of the above TM

3. TTX is the legacy TagEditor translation (bilingual) format and can be opened both in TagEditor and in Studio.

I hope this helps a little.
Collapse

Whitney Bryan
Whitney Bryan  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:58
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 18, 2010

Thank you, Stanislav, for the clarification on the file formats. As you can tell, this is my first experience with Trados, which I am trying in order to find out if I want to enter the world of TM software (something I have been avoiding but is now required by many companies). I only have the Studio 2009 trial version, so I do not have Workbench 2007, which seems to be required to convert the files for 2009 use. This, unfortunately, does not come with the trial, only with the purchase of the ... See more
Thank you, Stanislav, for the clarification on the file formats. As you can tell, this is my first experience with Trados, which I am trying in order to find out if I want to enter the world of TM software (something I have been avoiding but is now required by many companies). I only have the Studio 2009 trial version, so I do not have Workbench 2007, which seems to be required to convert the files for 2009 use. This, unfortunately, does not come with the trial, only with the purchase of the full version.

Thank you, again, for your help. You've made sense of the list of files at which I was staring in confusion!
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 01:58
English to Czech
+ ...
No problem Jun 18, 2010

Hi Whitney,
if you want me to convert the Workbench TM for you so you can play with Studio around a little, just drop me a PM over my profile.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Trial and TMs

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »