Thread poster: Patricia de Gispert

Patricia de Gispert  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 19:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 22, 2010

Hello!

I am working in a project with SDL Trados together with some other translators (my version is 2007). We are sent packages of Word documents with lots of repetitions, some documents are exactly the same with only a few variations. Usually, when someone finishes a document, they pass the memory around to the other translators in the team so that we can all work with the same terminology and get more 100% matches.

One of the translators has made a mistake and instead of creating a memory from French to Spanish, she has created it from English to Spanish.

My question is, is there anything we can do to change the memory languages? Or something else in order to be able to import her memory into the rest of the team's?

Thank you very much!

Direct link Reply with quote

Anne-Virginie Lerat  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:27
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
Export, edit in TXT and reimport Jun 22, 2010

Hello Patricia,

What about exporting the TM she created and change the languages in the TXT file (simply search for EN-EN or EN-US and replace with FR-FR) ? Then you can reimport the TXT file in the general TM. I used this trick several times and it worked for me.

Colombia
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Jun 22, 2010

Dear Anne-Virginie,

Thank you so much for your help and for the fast reply! I did it and it worked, problem solved!

Thanks again.

Patricia

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:27
English to Dutch
+ ...
Changing the language combination of a TM Jun 22, 2010

Hi Patricia

That is not so difficult. If you export the TM (with Workbench) you will either get a .txt or a .tmx file, right? These files can simply be edited with the Windows Text Editor. If you are afraid of making a mistake, just copy the exported TM to another location and experiment with that one.

Now, if you have the txt or tmx open in the Editor, you'll see that every segment has a language code in front of the actual text, for example EN-EN. Now use the function Search and Replace to find the 'wrong' language combination (I guess that would be ES-ES) to be replaced by 'FR-FR' (if that's the right combination). It takes just a few seconds. Store the corrected TM and import it into your master TM and presto! Done.

These are just examples. Open a 'correct' exported TM to make sure what the internal language codes are and use those, if you're not sure.

Bonne chance!

Colombia
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 22, 2010

Thank you so much Marinus! It is exactly what I did and it worked, I thought we were going to lose that memory!

Thank you again to both of you!

Anne-Virginie Lerat  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:27
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
Good to hear ! Jun 22, 2010

Have a nice evening !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I change the languages of a memory?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search