Thread poster: Sabine Ide

Sabine Ide  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:36
Spanish to German
+ ...
Jun 23, 2010

Hi everybody:

I have a problem with MultiTerm which seems to be caused by Java.

I updated Java, because my computer got slower every day. Result: MultiTerm did not work any longer. So I deinstalled the Java update, but nothing did change - MultiTerm still does not work properly. Whenever I try to enter a new entry, I get the message: "Null" and then "java.lang.NullPointerException".

I am working on Win7, using Trados 2007 Suite and MultiTerm 2007 Desktop. I found the following Java versions installed on my computer: Java 6 Update 6 and J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 12.

I could not repair MultiTerm because the program tells me, it needs Internet Explorer 5 or higher. I have installed Explorer 8 !?!?

Any ideas of how to resolve that problem?

Best regards
Sabine

Direct link Reply with quote

Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Danish
+ ...
Try to disable next-generation Java plug-in Jun 23, 2010

Hi Sabine,

I have also had that problem several times before - and so have many others If you search the forums you will find several threads about this.

MultiTerm should work again if you disable the next-generation Java plug-in. See e.g. this post for instructions on how to do this:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/126020-adding_an_entry_from_multiterm_causes_java_null_error.html#1040545

Sandrine Zérouali  Identity Verified
Algeria
Member (2008)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Agree with Mette Jun 23, 2010

Hello Sabine,

I did have the same problem before.

Please try the following:

1. Click Start and then select Control Panel from the menu.
2. Double-click on Java. The Java Control Panel is displayed.
3. Click on the Advanced tab.
4. Clear the “Enable the next-generation Java plug-in” check box.
5. Click OK to save your changes and close the Java Control Panel.
6. Reboot your PC.

The error messages should no longer appear and you are able to work with your termbase again without problems.

Please read SDL knowledge base article http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2362&p=1
for more information.

I hope this helps.

Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but... Jun 23, 2010

Hi Mette,

thanks for your answer. I did disable next-generation Java plug-in (as I, of course, read all the forum entries you mention... ).
But it still does not work

Sabine

Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to Sandrine, too Jun 24, 2010

Hi!

As I already told, I did disable next Java-generation plug in, but the problem still was not solved.
So, I checked once more and found out, somehow (???) the plug-in had re-enabled itself ?!?!?

Nevertheless, now everything is working

Sandrine Zérouali  Identity Verified
Algeria
Member (2008)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Nice Jun 24, 2010

I am happy that's now it is working. The IT is usefull when it works but when we have some problems, it is becoming just a nightmare!!!!!

Have a good day!!!

Sandrine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm - Java Problem

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search