Creating Translation Memories from past translations in Trados Studio?
Thread poster: pk75
pk75
Local time: 21:44
English to German
Jun 25, 2010

Hi,

beg pardon if this is a stupid question, but how do I go about to create a translation memory from my past translations, which are pairs of word docs - one source, the other target?

I have a huge base of texts I translated that I would now like to use for building TMs. I get as far as creating an 'empty' TM with no translation units. Can't I now just open one of the old source texts in the one column, then the translated file in the other and somehow tell the program which segments are supposed to be equivalent? I thought that was the whole point. Do I really need to enter the past translations one sentence at a time? Surely there must be a way to avoid that?

I have been translating happily without any CAT tools at all for the past nine years but thought it might be a good idea to check out what they could do for me. There are some good reasons. I seriously tried in vain to find the answer in the Trados help, Trados for idiots by an idiot and Jerzy Czopik's tutorial (as well as a thread here full of bitterness and frustration esl.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/56594-i_need_a_good_trados_tutorial.html so please believe me I don't intend to rub salt into existing wounds The tutorials are mainly concerned with previous versions of Trados though, and with creating TMs from scratch by translating new texts, and also I understand there has been a major change of user interface with the introduction of Trados Studio.

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:44
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Use WinAlign Jun 25, 2010

It should come with Studio, although it belongs to the old Trados suite.

Hope this helps!

pk75
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
It doesn't. Jun 25, 2010

HINWEIS:
SDL WinAlign erfordert, dass SDL Trados 2007 installiert ist

Great... I had already started hating Trados, before even using it for a single syllable, so why stop now? Thanks anyway...

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
install 2007 Jun 25, 2010

To use Winalign you must have Trados 2007 installed on your machine. 2007 comes bundled with Studio so that shouldn't be a problem for you (unless you have the Starter version).

Interesting that you "hate Studio before starting to use it". Why did you buy it then?

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:44
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
memoQ Jun 25, 2010

If it is not too late, I would suggest you switch to memoQ instead.

pk75
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
I didn't Jun 25, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Interesting that you "hate Studio before starting to use it". Why did you buy it then?

Luckily I didn't.

More hatred:

Trados 2007 wants 285 MB on drive c:\ although I specified it to be installed on a different partition. As my system partition is deliberately rather small, that could be a problem. Does anybody perchance know what it wants to store there and how to persuade it otherwise?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating Translation Memories from past translations in Trados Studio?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search