Term search issue
Thread poster: xxxMarkAlexande
xxxMarkAlexande
Local time: 09:29
Jun 25, 2010

Hi --

I think I'm looking for a switch or a radio button somewhere but I can't locate it for the life of me. I need to be able to find terms using the search box by entering any part of that term. For instance:

I have "zpoplatnění podléhá" in the termbase.
I run a search for "podléh". Nothing shows.

It appears to me that unless the portion of the term I enter in the search box begins the term, no result will be returned. How can I get the program to return all strings in the termbase which match the fragment I enter, regardless of its position in the string?

Thanks for any help.

Mark A.

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Are you talking about the search in Studio? Jun 27, 2010

Hi Mark,

It is not clear to me whether you are talking about searching in Studio, or in the Multiterm application itself. Perhaps you could clarify this.

Astrid

xxxMarkAlexande
TOPIC STARTER
Studio Jun 27, 2010

Aha! Left that out. I didn't realize. Thanks, Astrid. I'm working in Studio 2009.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
You should be able to search for any string of letters in Studio Jun 27, 2010

Hi Mark,

I have checked the matter out on one of my documents, and I can search for any string of letters. I don't recall ticking a box anywhere in order to enable this.

I'll see what I can find out for you about the matter - but you should not be having this problem.

Astrid

xxxMarkAlexande
TOPIC STARTER
Okay... Jun 27, 2010

...thanks, Astrid, that's nice of you. It's occurring across all my termbases, both imports and those created directly inside MultiTerm, so it has to be a program-level issue.

Mark.

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:29
English to Russian
+ ...
question Jun 28, 2010

Have you explicitly specified termbases the Studio should search looking for terms on the creating a translation project stage?

xxxMarkAlexande
TOPIC STARTER
Yes. Jun 28, 2010

Yes, Sergei, I think I have. The termbases are registered in the project and they can be searched. The only time they return no results is if I search on a word that isn't the first word in the term.

Roy OConnor
Member (2009)
German to English
Are you using asterisks? Jun 28, 2010

Hi, Mark,

On my Studio (SP2) installation I appear to be able to list in the Termbase Search window any strings enclosed in asterisks, e.g. *vor* lists "Heizvorrichtung" and loads more. No particular settings are needed except you have to select the Termbase Search tab.

If you don't use the asterisks, then you only get the words beginning with whatever you specify.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Roy

xxxMarkAlexande
TOPIC STARTER
That's it, Roy, thanks! Jun 28, 2010

Didn't occur to me to try a wildcard character. Funny thing is, even if I just wildcard the end of the word -- e.g., "inform*", I get back all strings with that fragment -- even if it doesn't begin the term.

Thanks for solving the mystery!

Mark.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Term search issue

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search