Help- Multiterm Convert Error
Thread poster: Blue water

Blue water
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jun 28, 2010

Hello everyone,
I'm learning Trados now, using Trados Freelance 7 and Multiterm7. It works well in MS Word initially, and everything is fine when creating the termbase. But when I trying to use Multiterm Convert to import xls format files (MS EXcel 2003), errors appear like this: “The conversion option could not be initialised properly”, so my learning is paused.

I unload and reinstall Trados and Multiterm, and all is cleaned sure, but it still falis. Stange enough, the same installation program and excel file work well on the computer of my friend's and my home.

The OS I use is Ghost WinXP Chinese, that of my friend is WinXP English, and that of my home is also WinXp Chinese. So I don't think it's result from the OS. Because my other friend who also use the Win7 English encounters the same problem with me.

Anyone can help with this? Many thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxOptiproz Pri
Local time: 07:09
English
MS Excel Jul 1, 2010

Hi

Do you have Microsoft Excel 2002/2003 installed or an earlier version?

The Excel file itself can surely be created in Excel 2003 but if you only have Excel 2000 or earlier installed it won´t work.

Here is what the KB article from SDL knowledgebase says:

Symptoms
Converting a Microsoft Excel file with SDL MultiTerm Convert fails and the following error message is displayed:

Error String: The conversion option could not be initialised properly

Explanation
You will get this error message if you are using Microsoft Excel 2000 or an earlier version.
SDL MultiTerm Convert directly supports:

Microsoft Excel 2002 (XP)
Microsoft Excel 2003
Microsoft Excel 2007 (.xls format only)
Resolution
If you are using Microsoft Excel 97, 2000, follow the steps below:

Open the XLS file in Microsoft Excel.
Save the XLS file as a tab-delimited text file.
Open the tab-delimited text file in a Unicode text editor (for instance Notepad).
Save the file again as a UTF-8 file.

You can now convert the file with SDL MultiTerm Convert by following the workflow for spreadsheet and database exchange formats. See the SDL MultiTerm User Guide for more information.

Cheers

Blue water
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jul 2, 2010

Thank you.
But the MS Excel I use is 2003 version. and also encounter the problem.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
More details.... Jul 2, 2010

Hi Blue Water

Does this error comes up in step 3 when you choose Microsoft Excel and click then on "next"?

If yes, please first close all SDL applications.
Go to C:\Program Files\SDL International\MultiTerm 2007 and execute the "#_Selfregister_desktop.bat"

After you have done this try again to start MultiTerm Convert and convert a Excel file.

Kind regards
Richard

Blue water
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
fail Jul 5, 2010

Thank you for your suggestions, but it still fails.
Actually I ddn't run the Trados, and only Multiterm is running.
But I also tried as you say, but the problem lasts.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Can we have the excel file? Jul 5, 2010

Hi,

Can you send us the excel file and we can take a look? You can send this to pfilkin@sdl.com

Regards

Paul

Blue water
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hello Jul 5, 2010

I have emailed you the excel file, please check.
But I don't think it's where the problem lies, for my friends used the same file to test and succeeded.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help- Multiterm Convert Error

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search