Thread poster: Sabine Ide

Sabine Ide  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:25
Spanish to German
+ ...
Jun 28, 2010

Hi there!

I just translated without any problems a Word 2003 file in TagEditor (Trados Suite 2007). Now, I am not able to save as target. I get the message "The target document cannot be created because the tag structure in the TagEditor is invalid".

As I could resolve a similar problem with Powerpoint-files, saving the original document as 2007 file, I tried to save the original word file as word 2007 file and translated it again in TagEditor. When trying to save as target, I get the same message

I checked tags in both documents, there are no invalid tags indicated......

Could anyone help me pleeeeeaaase..... ???

Best regards. Sabine

Direct link Reply with quote

J Gallagher  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:25
English to Finnish
+ ...
Fix document? Jun 28, 2010

I suppose you already tried Trados-Fix Document? Helped with my recent rtf issue, not sure what it solves for TagEditor files...
Sorry, forget that, of course this is not possible... I'd probably try opening the file in an xml editor.

[Edited at 2010-06-28 09:01 GMT]

Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fix document??? Jun 28, 2010

Thanks for your reply. But, sorry, what is fix document????

Of course, I am using a german version. So are you referring to "repair document" in the Trados-Word toolbar?

I meanwhile tried to translate the file in word instead of TagEditor. But cannot open the Workbench, when the word file is open....

[Bearbeitet am 2010-06-28 08:52 GMT]

Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Did you run verification in TagEditor? Jun 28, 2010

Press F8 in TagEditor to run verification and see if some tag is missing.

HTH

Yossi

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Activate the Generic Tag Verifier first Jun 28, 2010

Before you proceed as suggested by Yossi, activate the Generic Tag Verifier plug-in under "Tools > Plug-ins...".

Then press F8 to run the verification (this process may take a while depending on the document length), correct any tag issues detected by the plug-in and retry the cleanup.

Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to you all Jun 29, 2010

Of course, I checked all the tags as you suggest.
I also did check the original file (without any translation) and even could not save that! So, the original file was bugged.....

Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Try one more thing Jun 29, 2010

Before converting the Word document to TTX, check that before each section break and fields like TOC there is a paragraph mark (show formatting marks using the ¶ icon or clicking Ctrl+*), and add one if necessary.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
DOC > RTF > DOC Jun 29, 2010

Hello Sabine,
in addition to Yossi's suggestion, I would also suggest that you try one or several the following:

1. Save the DOC as RTF, open the RTF in TagEditor, translate one segment and try to "Save target as...". If it works, proceed with the rest of the document; or

2. Save the DOC as RTF and save the RTF as DOC again; open this new DOC in TagEditor, translate one segment and try to "Save target as...". If it works, proceed with the rest of the document; or

3. Save the DOC as DOCX (you will need the MS Office compatibility pack to do this; downloadable from Microsoft web), open the DOCX in TagEditor, translate one segment and try to "Save target as...". If it works, proceed with the rest of the document; or

4. Launch MS Word, click the "Open" button, select the respective Word file and open it with "Open and repair...". Save the repaired document under a new name, open it in TagEditor, translate one segment and try to "Save target as...". If it works, proceed with the rest of the document. If not, try points 1 – 3 with the repaired document.

I hope at least one of these four suggestions will work for you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor-Word Problem

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search