Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jul 5, 2010

G'day everyone

I have Trados 2007 but I rarely use it. A client of mine just sent me 1000 RTF files that they want me to "translate" and deliver back as TTX files. The total word count is less than 5000 words, and many of the files contain just one segment. This is not a translation job but an editing job, so for each segment the source will be the same as the target, except for any changes that I make to the text.

What I want to know is if Trados 2007 has any batch procedures that I can use to simplify the job. What would be great is if I could extract all the text into a single TM so that I can edit that TM (in a separate program) and then just rerun all the files against the TM to have them translated.

So:

1. Is there a way to convert my 1000 RTF files to TTX quickly, without having to open all files and doing finger exercises for an hour?
2. Is there a way to quickly add all segments from a bunch of TTX files to a TM? I assume the TTX files would have to be translated source=target before such an operation can be done.
3. Is there a way to auto translate 1000 TTX files against a TM? And if so, how would I be able to make sure that all segments were translated successfully?

Thanks
Samuel

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Déjà vu.... Jul 5, 2010

... and not the software

Hi Samuel,

In workbench you can use Tools-Translate to add all of your files in one go and convert them to TTX.

Now create a Project in Studio and merge them into one SDLXLIFF. If you set Tools-Options-Editor to automatically copy source to content then you'll get all the target content populated.

Make your changes as required and finally you can use Batch Tasks - Generate Target Files and you will have all the RTF files as TTX with the target content complete.

Regards

Paul

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Paul Jul 5, 2010

Thanks for that advice, Paul. I'll definitely try it.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
One more thing Jul 5, 2010

Hi Samuel,

If your point is that you specifically want to use a seperate tool to edit the TM then select all the cells in the Studio, change the status to confirmed and then run a Batch task to update the TM. Now export the updated SDLTM to TMX and continue as you wish.

Regards

Paul

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Also... Jul 5, 2010

You did not specify what software would you actually want to use... If it handles TTX directly (and in batches), the procedure might be greatly simplified.

In Workbench open (or create) an empty TM. Translate all TTX files (Tools/translate) automatically selecting the field "Segment unknown sentences".

Now you have a bunch of TTX files which are segmented and populated (i.e. target segment contains source segment). You can easily translate them in MemoQ, DejaVuX and probably other programs.

Radu Nicolaescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 10:31
Member (2006)
German to Romanian
+ ...
Export unknown segments Jul 9, 2010

Run analyse

use the function "Export unknown segments" to generate a rtf with all nomatch and fuzzy segments (put 99%) from the whole project

load the memory by translating this unique file

update the 1000 individual documents from the memory

good luck!

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Jabberwock Jul 10, 2010

Jabberwock wrote:
You did not specify what software would you actually want to use...

You're right, I didn't mention what separate tool I would use. The answer is: Microsoft Word (best TMX editor in the world).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Batch operations in Trados 2007

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 for €415/$495 with free eLearning
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 For this month only – receive SDL Trados Studio 2017 - Getting Started eLearning for FREE.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search